News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Add on Governors for NON stationary engines.

Started by glort, October 10, 2013, 09:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glort

Thinking of setting up My Merc engine with a generator/ induction motor.

Does anyone know of Governors that are not over the top exy that I could put on a vehicle engine?

I don't need a whole control system, I have one of those that came off a stationary engine that monitors temp, oil pressure etc, I could fit.
Just want a basic speed control that would fit and I don't have to be an electronics genius to build or fit. 

mike90045

JC Whitney used to have aftermarket "Cruise Control" kits, glue a magnet on the drive shaft, set a correction factor and off you go.

mobile_bob

old farm tractors and other engine powered equipment often had belt drive governors, seems to me that
"huff" was one brand, and i can't remember the other... maybe "woodruff" or something like that

they were basically a flyweight governor, that had its own oil reservoir, an external spring and lever assembly that you adjust to the rpm you want it to run at... the lever of course is connected to the carburator or throttle body of course.

the are belt driven off an extra dedicated pulley on the crankshaft, usually with a narrow belt that runs a bit deeper in the pulley so that there is little chance that it can come off the pulleys. 

evidently they quite reliable

bob g

vdubnut62

Hoof is one manufacturer, Pierce another. There are probably many others.  I don't think either produce mechanical governors currently, although a quick web search turned this up......It
seems the ring gear teeth are sensed by a pickup and electronics do the rest. I'm sure the manufacturer is quite proud of them, pricewise.

http://www.foleyengines.com/resources/tech-tips/upgrading-hoof-or-pierce-belt-drive-governor-electronic-governor

The mechanical ones can still be found on Fleabay,  but they are quite pricey IMHO.
I ran across 2 or three of the belt drive ones at a yard sale some time back, been kicking myself for not picking them up. Oh well, hindsight being 20/20 and all that.
Ron.

Modified so I don't sound so much like a smartarse, Sorry all.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Thob

Is your merc a diesel?  If so, the injection pump probably has a governor of some type build in.  Being that it's mechanical and built for variable speed, it won't regulate the RPM very close, but it would provide some amount of speed regulation.  How critical is regulation in your application?  Just make a mechanical clamp to hold the throttle lever in place.

Otherwise, the cruise control idea is probably your best choice.
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

glort

Yeah it's a diesel but a push pull actuator would work fine with it like any other motor.

I'm surprised there isn't more out there more commonly available for this sort of thing.
Would the cruise control be remotely accurate?  Some of the cars I have driven with it sure aren't.  My wifes car is OK on the flat and Downhill but when going up hill the thing wants to pick up about an extra 10 Km/h.

I looked at the GAC site and was just confused. Nothing very straight forward there.  I would have hoped there was just a kit that you hooked up and that was it.
Didn't think it would be so complicated!

Lloyd

Quote from: glort on October 12, 2013, 05:20:23 PM

Yeah it's a diesel but a push pull actuator would work fine with it like any other motor.

I'm surprised there isn't more out there more commonly available for this sort of thing.
Would the cruise control be remotely accurate?  Some of the cars I have driven with it sure aren't.  My wifes car is OK on the flat and Downhill but when going up hill the thing wants to pick up about an extra 10 Km/h.

I looked at the GAC site and was just confused. Nothing very straight forward there.  I would have hoped there was just a kit that you hooked up and that was it.
Didn't think it would be so complicated!

Try theses guys http://www.precisiongovernors.com/ they fulfilled my needs.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

glort

Thanks LLoyd.
I have emailed them. I'll see what they get back to me with.

I am surprised these things aren't easier to come by. Goggling has turned up very little. I searched for engine  Governors and speed controllers but got very few hits.

Hopefully these people will have what I want at a price I can afford!   ;D

Thanks again.

uber39

Glort,
          Read your PM's, I think I may habe what your chasing. And Im in Oz :-)