News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Colorado and New Mexico flooding

Started by deeiche, September 15, 2013, 08:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deeiche

I hope any other members in Colorado or New Mexico are doing okay.

We've had close to 6" rainfall in the last 6 days, almost equivalent to our annual rainfall, and still have a chance of rain for a couple more days.  Included in the rain total is the 1.8" inches we got in ~ 30 minutes late last night.

I have a couple spots in the yard that are the beginnings of sinkholes.  I spent time this morning moving dirt into the depressions to make them higher than surrounding ground, going to fill some sand bags to berm around them.  Afterwards took the dogs for a walk and saw water running in irrigation ditches that should be empty.  The diversion from the river was cutoff in early August, so water must be flowing in to the ditches some where along the system.

I just want the rain to stop.

Henry W

You are in our thoughts. Please keep us updated.

Henry

LowGear

Is this wild weather and flooding in the Mississippi basin(?) or the Rio Grande?

Casey

Thob

If I have my geography right, the Arkansas river flows west to east thru Pueblo, then Lamar, then out to Wichita, KS; Tulsa OK, Little Rock AR, and then meets up with the Mississippi.  Most of the flooding seems to be north of there, I think it's flowing into the North Platte River, which winds up in the Missouri river and then into the Mississippi.  It's got to get south of both of those rivers to get to the Rio Grande.

But then I'm in Texas, and there's something not right about our geography!

We could use the rain here, so please send it this way...
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

deeiche

The flooding in Colorado is pretty far north, I think it will flow into the Missouri.

The flooding in New Mexico is the Canadian or Pecos rivers on the east side, or the Rio Grande in the middle.  Some of the worst flooding in New Mexico has been along the Pecos, though the Rio Grande has it share of flooding.  Normally at this time of year the Rio Grande flow is around 100cfs through the city, I believe it has been over 5000cfs for the last couple of days.

The last 24 hours was the first time without rain in almost a week.

Even with all our issues I feel very fortunate to not be dealing with the issues the folks up in Boulder are enduring.