we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Careful - Genius At Work

Started by LowGear, March 27, 2013, 01:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowGear

I was cruising craigslist and saw this ad:

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/pts/3701711634.html

And of course I was blinded by the light.  Yes, that's right - By pulling the idea out of the further more reaches of my little gray cells!

Hoe about using these bags as engine mounts???

Casey

mike90045

they look like spring assist or lift kits for truck beds.   Would be real bouncy, and would have to have shocks.

Ronmar

In their plain form, I agree with Mike.  Goodyear does however I believe make an internally dampened version, with special valving between internal air chambers that interact to dampen and isolate.  Something like that might work, but the engineering might be a little "Sensitive"...
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

Lloyd

Quote from: LowGear on March 27, 2013, 01:53:30 PM
I was cruising craigslist and saw this ad:

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/pts/3701711634.html

And of course I was blinded by the light.  Yes, that's right - By pulling the idea out of the further more reaches of my little gray cells!

Hoe about using these bags as engine mounts???

Casey

Ouch, I had a blow out on my big iron...engine mount.

bangbangabang...@#$%%(&

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

DanG

could be filled with gell/fluid and much smaller airspace...

mobile_bob

several years ago, back in the "resilient vs concrete" wars over on our sister forum
a gentleman from england send me a picture of the cradle  mount system i was promoting
at the time,

he used airbags such as those, on all 4 points, it was a 6/1 listeroid and the result was nothing short of amazing.

proper engineering to get the rocking moment all centered up and all that, the result was very smooth and no transmission of thump to anywhere either.

he sent me pictures, but i agreed to not share them because he was working on a system for retail sale. 

i never heard back from him, however i think i still have his email in my list.

the point of all this is yes they can be used effectively in a "properly" engineered mounting system, but you have to get it right!  if you get it wrong?  you might have more problems than you an outrun.

when you think about the use of airbags just think of them in a similar way was you would a 4 wheel trailer with air tires.  you are going to want to have the center of gravity somewhere near the centerline of the axles and not way up and above, unless of course you have a very wide trailer.

you certainly are not going to have much luck simple putting these airbags right under the engine/frame mount and not have it hopping and bobbing all over the place.

bob g

Lloyd

Quote from: mobile_bob on March 29, 2013, 04:06:57 PM
several years ago, back in the "resilient vs concrete" wars over on our sister forum
a gentleman from england send me a picture of the cradle  mount system i was promoting
at the time,

he used airbags such as those, on all 4 points, it was a 6/1 listeroid and the result was nothing short of amazing.

proper engineering to get the rocking moment all centered up and all that, the result was very smooth and no transmission of thump to anywhere either.

he sent me pictures, but i agreed to not share them because he was working on a system for retail sale.  

i never heard back from him, however i think i still have his email in my list.

the point of all this is yes they can be used effectively in a "properly" engineered mounting system, but you have to get it right!  if you get it wrong?  you might have more problems than you an outrun.

when you think about the use of airbags just think of them in a similar way was you would a 4 wheel trailer with air tires.  you are going to want to have the center of gravity somewhere near the centerline of the axles and not way up and above, unless of course you have a very wide trailer.

you certainly are not going to have much luck simple putting these airbags right under the engine/frame mount and not have it hopping and bobbing all over the place.

bob g

Bob,

now you're talking boat/ship talk...we call it the cg over mc.

we have the center of gravity which creates balance with in the 4 points, but we also have meta center, which creates balance in the vertical state.

So we can balance for the 4 points and still need to dampen the vertical state.

When we put our old boat together, we had everything balanced by weight for and aft, then side to side. we weighted everything low.

It turned out like the old punching bags that inflated as a kid... the harder I punched them the faster they came back, sometimes hitting me back in the face.

Then when I started boating, I learned MC meta-center. So now I want an mc that is soft, but doesn't become so soft that it creates it's own motion.

lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

vdubnut62

I went with the 4 pneumatic tires on my Changfoid setup. And yes, I realize that I'm not dealing with a "hopper" or "slider", but the vibration went away completely.
Before, it would make the whole house sort of hum, and the tires made it all go away. Well worth $20 in my not so humble opinion! ;)
If I had the air bags, I would have definitely used them.
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous