News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Battery Bank Sizeing

Started by r77, February 07, 2013, 12:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceM

For those of us with smaller power requirements, and higher voltage systems (which have correspondingly lower charge and discharge currents), I learned something interesting recently here.

The forklift style batteries have notably poor bulk charge efficiency at lower currents. They were designed to be bulk charged by a high current charger, not by a modest sized PV system. I think Ronmar explained the physics of it.  Just something to keep in mind. 

r77

Hi Tom, thanks for explaining about the differing battery plates, I will be sure to consider this when purchasing, those PV1's you have sound fantastic,

BruceM, good day to you, point noted in charging forklift batterys,  I could kick myself now, two years ago I gave in and sold a forklift battery pack, 48 Volt 800AH, and to make matters worse I saw no point in keeping the 48 volt single phase charger that came with the truck, I got this truck for pennies, and was offered good money, should have thought it through.

Ronmar, thanks for the 24 /  48 month  info, did not know this, other than the above which was my own doing I have never had bettery problems, always check and dont abuse them.

Thanks again jonathan, I had been told many years ago that caring for batterys correctly was the key to long life and good financial return, by an old friend who has since passed on, its all coming back to me now, this man was a genius regarding generators, when everyone else was beat they eventually came to him, he lived in an old airfield hut, no grid power, used milk float batterys, anyway, I would like to thank you all for your help, its time for me to start looking for batterys, God bless, John