News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Dodge cumins diesel question

Started by Tom Reed, December 05, 2012, 12:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Reed

I'm looking to convert an International pickup I have to diesel, specifically a Dodge cummins. What would be the best year(s) to get a doner engine from that would be good for alternate fuels. I'm thinking pre-computer would be best. Suggestions?
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

d34

93 thru early 98.  In 98.5 they started using the 24v which is electronic.   In 96 they started using computer controlled auto transmissions.  For 94-95 the only thing electronic on the auto trans was the lockup converter, which can be controlled by a toggle switch. 
GM90 6/1 ST5 (ready for emergency)
Changfa ZS1105GNM with 10kw gen head
S195 no gen head
1600 watts of solar panels are now here waiting for install
2635 watts of solar panels, Outback 3648 & 3048 Inverters, MX60, Mate
840Ah (20 hr rate) 48v battery bank & 660Ah (8 hr rate) 48v battery bank

XYZER

Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

Tom Reed

Ah, thanks guys that's exactly the info I need. I'm after a manual trans so no computer needed.
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

LowGear

I don't know how much power you need but the Isuzu NPR engines are another option.  They're indirect and mechanical from about 93 through 96 (pretty close). 

Casey

Thob

I think the 12 valve was made with both an in-line and rotary injection pumps (different years), but I don't know when they changed.  Supposedly the inline pump is better for alternative fuels.  If you see the injection lines coming out of the pump all in row, then it's an inline pump; if they come out spaced around a circle at the end of the pump then it's a rotary.
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

JohnF

I run a greasecar conversion in my '97 2500.  Works well and the engine seems to handle it without a hitch.  Early '98 should be as high as you go, the 24 valve and all the electronics were introduced then.  When I was researching kits I saw that the greascar kit for the pre 98 1/2's was $3k but he 24 valve kits were over $3k - apparently the fuel pumps are much weaker on the 24 valves and need more help.

My mistake - I quoted the pre-98 cost at $3k, should have read $2K!  Fat fingers.......
John F
www.woodnstuff.ca
Listers, Changfas, Redstones, AG's and anything else diesel I can get my hands on!

vdubnut62

My vote is for around 90-91-ish vintage, no computer and it is non- intercooled, a big plus when you start transplanting. Try and see what a custom intercooler will cost ya.                     They are rated around 160 hp and enough torque to mangle nearly any part of the stock drivetrain you care to mention.
I've also got a spare injector pump, lines and a turbo off a 91 lying around that I have absolutely no use for...  ;D
The rotary pump on the late 98's is very sensitive to low fuel pressure, and you will never know (unless you run a fuel pressure gauge) till it dies. Then you can shell out close to $3k I've heard.
The Bosch P7100 inline pump is much more robust, but if I remember right, it only came on the intercooled engines.
Ron.

Oh and JohnF, I've got oil in the rad. Again! And a blown head gasket.

When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

quinnf

Maybe, but the Isuzu NPR sounds totally bitchin' at idle.  Sounds like a Ford tractor.  It gets my vote.  I wouldn't mind having one just to listen to it.  But the wife would probably have me committed and grab the insurance.

Had a 1999 Cummins ISB in the motorhome.  24v.  Engine sounded like shaking a bucketfull of rocks.  Very clattery.  Not at all pleasant.  But pushed a 36' Winne down the road at 10-11 mpg which you can't argue with.

q.

akghound

Hi Tom. I like the 12 valve with the P7100 injector pump. It is intercooled however. You might want to look at the Ford six speed tranny rather then the Dodge trans.
John, the guy who had the Duitz engine has an Isuzu inline 6 in a motor home. It came in on it's own power. I can check on it if you want.
One Day At A Time 
2000 F450 7.3 Powerstroke / Home Built WVO conversion
96 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 / Homebuilt WVO conversion
Listeroid Generator on used ATF
Living off grid

Thob

One other suggestion - you might consider the cummins 4BT engine.  My understanding is that the 4BT is a 4 cylinder version of the 6BT (which is what the Dodge 5.9L is known as).  I believe they both have the same bolt patterns at the rear end so the same bell housing and flywheels can be used, and hence the same transmission.  The 4BT is available in various horsepower setups, both natural aspirated and turbo charged.  It should get you a little better fuel mileage and be a lot easier on the front suspension due to lower weight.  The 4BT engine was used in bread trucks and other similar delivery vehicles, so they are common.  If you want the horsepower, however, go with the 5.9!

I stumbled on a discussion forum about 4BT engine swaps here:

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/forum.php

I'm not a member there and haven't followed it much, so your mileage may vary!
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

LowGear

So the question begs:

Why doesn't Dodge put the 4BT into their smaller pick-up?

Talk about an engine fantasy factory.  I better get to that link and start getting edjumacated.

I don't know how big the Isuzu 6 is but there are adapters available for the NPR 4 to be fitted into Cherokees and a few other units.  I get between 15 and 17 MPG in my NPR which weighs around 4 tons empty.

Casey

XYZER

I have dreamed of putting the 4bt in a jeep for some time. It is loud an comes in many hp variations. There is a lot more info and tried and true mods for the 12 valve 5.9 but both have been experemented with and the hp limit is known for the different components. Both are a good choice but not cheap! Anymore I am tempted to get rid of my 24 valve 5.9 and get a gas rig. The cost of diesel has ruined the running around with no load. But hauling a load is another story.
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

Henry W

Hi Guys,

I been watching this forum. I almost did a 4BT swap in a F250 2WD about 4 years ago. It is a popular swap.

Thob posted this link and it is a good forum. http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/forum.php  I been following the forum for years and there is lots of good info posted that will help. If diesel price goes down I might consider a swap down the road. But the way things are going I don't think it will ever happen.

Henry

Tom Reed

I'm fairly familiar with the 4bt, it is a very tall engine so it won't fit under some vehicles hoods. Also since they are fairly popular for conversions and somewhat rare the cost is steep.

In my case I have a '71 International Travelette 4 door long bed pickup. It blew a head gasket a couple of weeks ago. I want to turn it into a 4X4 diesel, so the hunt is on for a wrecked Dodge pickup as a donor vehicle. This will also convert the truck to disk brakes on the front which would be a nice addition.
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom