need to raise rpm's on chinese 186 f type diesel

Started by bluemax03, December 03, 2012, 09:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluemax03

Hello,  I am new to the forum. I am looking for help with a problem and would appreciate if someone can direct me. I bought an Aurora 6500 D generator in 2009.  I had a manual transfer switch installed in my home lately, the electrician made the remark that I might have the generator looked at.  I have asked the company, local people, even Santa Claus.  I have had the engine looked at  by a diesel mechanic at a local diesel truck shop.
I need about 200 more engine rpm's.  I have ajusted the govenor plate maximum for added rpm's. I am at 57.4 Hertz and would appreciate any advice.
Thank You

Ronmar

Belt drive or direct?  How are you measuring frequency?  What is the actual engine RPM?
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

bluemax03

Direct drive.  I do not have a tachometer. My understanding of the 3600 rpm generators is that they must be turning 3600 rpm to acheive 60 Htz from a two pole generator head. I have borrowed a photo/laser tachometer and had a reading that varied between 3270 to 3420.  This is no longer available to me but I have been using my volt/ohm meter with a htz gauge. I verified the htz with an electronic gauge from "Hardy Diesel".

Henry W

If you push the throttle linkage by hand while it is on full throttle will the engine respond and turn higher RPM's? If it does I would see if it needs a heavier governor spring.

veggie

You stated that you checked the throttle stop screw (located in the upper portion of the throttle plate assembly).
There should be a second adjusting screw down low on the throttle linkage plate ( the screw is horizontal, not vertical).
This is used to limit the full throttle location of the rack arm.
When pulling a load, see if the linkage is hitting against this full throttle stop.
If it is hitting (and limiting your full load speed) then adjust accordingly.

cheers,
veggie

mobile_bob

will this thing turn to 3600rpm without a load on it?

it not, you have a governor problem, probably a spring issue as henry stated.

it might be the engine was originally spec'd for 50hz operation, which means a governed speed of 3000rpm

which means you will likely have to replace the governor spring at least and maybe
the flyweight balls?

where did you get this thing? did it come as a complete genset to start with? did it ever make full rpm?

bob g