News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

The M1030M1 JP8/Diesel Military Motorcycle gets 96 mpg.

Started by Henry W, November 07, 2009, 08:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimSR2

Derivative of a gas powered Kawasaki KLR 650 if I remember correctly.

Tim

vdubnut62

That's a big upgrade from the  home built one that was powered by an air cooled Changfa!
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

rcavictim

Quote from: vdubnut62 on November 07, 2009, 09:15:43 PM
That's a big upgrade from the  home built one that was powered by an air cooled Changfa!
Ron

Built for the military.  Did you see if you order one without the ashtray it costs $15,000.00 less?!   :D
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Henry W

Yea now were talking.  An air cooled Changfa powered motorcycle with a snowmoble belt drive setup.

rcavictim

Quote from: hwew on November 07, 2009, 10:25:40 PM
Yea now were talking.  An air cooled Changfa powered motorcycle with a snowmoble belt drive setup.

Well half there.  How about air cooled Changfa/Launtop in a diesel electric hybrid configuration.  No lossy snowmobile belt transmission, electric motor only on the drive wheel.  Regenerative braking, the whole 9 yards.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Henry W

Diesel electric sounds cool. But how heavy would the bike be? What genhead, batterys and electric motor is light enough to even consider making one.

Henry

vdubnut62

Well half there.  How about air cooled Changfa/Launtop in a diesel electric hybrid configuration.  No lossy snowmobile belt transmission, electric motor only on the drive wheel.  Regenerative braking, the whole 9 yards.
[/quote]

Well rcavictim, you better get cracking on the "Alien battery technology back-engineered from a crashed UFO".  ;D
Seriously, what kind or battery pack would be viable? I suppose you could stack a bunch of cell phone batteries aka Tesla Roadster. Maybe disguise
the battery pack as a set of hard bags? Or would that raise the center of gravity too high?  Pancake electric motors as wheel hubs front and rear would be 'way cool, plus it would be all wheel drive! Woohoo! Electric hybrid Rokon! Sorry I get excited really easy, doesn't take much to amuse some people. (me!)
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

rcavictim

You guys have no imagination.  Here is a Honda 360 twin that I am reworking into an e-assisted bicycle!  It contains 400 lbs of AGM 105 AH, 12 volt batteries.  Well it DID until I got some 50 AH batteries less than half the weight and less than half the size.  The frame was stretched 12" where the original engine went and the battery frame was lowered about 3" to help with the center of gravity.  I made use of what I had and a heavy 28 volt aircraft generator from the 1950's was used as a motor with DIY PWM controller and 48 volt circuit.

I can see modifying this a bit to fit a Launtop 6 HP diesel. I now have one in stock. That would weigh less than one of the batteries in this picture.  I could get rid of that gearbox and heavy motor for a modern B&S E-tek or similar.  This motor is amazing.  You can get about 15 HP out of it and it weighs next to nothing, just 28 lbs.  There is a newer replacement that makes more power (20 HP)and weighs just 10 lbs more.  

http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_ev_parts_motors.php

If I were to use NMH like the ones used in the Tesla car this would be easy.  However I can see using AGM cells and still pull it off.

rcavictim

Here is another pic with the smaller Hawker AGM batteries installed.

Henry W

Those motors are strong enough to power a bike pretty good. They are impressive for the size. The EMC-R looks like an nice one to use. And the EMC-RT if you want more performance.

NMH would be nice but costly. But still not bad for what you would get for weight saving and performance.

The next next thing would be charging. A Leece-Neville 110-555JHO 12/14 Volt 160 Amp Alternator modified to 24 volts?

Henry

Henry W

rcavictim

Quote from: hwew on November 08, 2009, 08:12:32 AM
Those motors are strong enough to power a bike pretty good. They are impressive for the size. The EMC-R looks like an nice one to use. And the EMC-RT if you want more performance.

NMH would be nice but costly. But still not bad for what you would get for weight saving and performance.

The next next thing would be charging. A Leece-Neville 110-555JHO 12/14 Volt 160 Amp Alternator modified to 24 volts?

Henry

You would need at an absolute minimum a 48 volt battery system and charger.  60 or 72 volts would be preferred.  Thank you for the compliment.

vdubnut62

veggie

rcavictim,

How about just getting rid of 1 battery.? Enough to make room for the Launtop 6hp diesel.
Have the Launtop/mini-alternator charge the batteries?
That way you could add diesel power without changing your drive system.

Hybrid?

(as a plus, you could burn diesel, biodiesel, veggie oil blends, maybe even WMO)
Veggie