News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

OT: Cell phones in the US

Started by AdeV, November 04, 2012, 05:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdeV

Aaaaaaand back. What a week THAT was....

First 3 days, I didn't see anything of Florida except the night sky, flat out  busy with the conference. Friday night we went into Orlando downtown & had a few drinks (despite the fact that only one of our party of 4 were under 40 - and that was me, by 1 whole year - one bar refused to let us in because we didn't have photo ID proving we were over 25. FFS.) I'd hired a mint-green Mustang convertible for the 4 days, so on Saturday morning I left Orlando & just drifted around, eventually found my way out to Cocoa Beach, stayed in a motel overnight. Sunday did the Kennedy Space Centre (your rockets are FECKIN' HUGE!), then meandered towards Miami. I had hoped to go see South Beach, and a bit of Miami itself, but I got recalled & had to work out of a hotel monday/tuesday instead, much grumble. So the furthest south I got was Fort Pierce, and I didn't see any of that except the motel...

Generally, had a great time :) But what is it with you guys and driving? Almost everyone was doing exactly the speed limit (or less), no-one was hoofing it off the lights (except me ;D), are your highway patrols really mean or something? In the UK, if you find someone doing the speed limit anywhere, there's usually a 20-car tailback behind them...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

Thob

I don't know about Florida, bu around the North Texas area, doing the speed limit is begging someone to run into you from behind.

And the highway patrol here is very nice, courteous, and professional - all the while writing you a ticket.  The purpose of highway patrol is NOT to enforce the speed limit, but to raise revenue.

<quote>
...but I got recalled...
</quote>

I take it that the cell phone worked?  I bet you know where the OFF switch is now!
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

cgwymp

Quote from: AdeV on November 15, 2012, 02:42:48 PM
But what is it with you guys and driving? Almost everyone was doing exactly the speed limit (or less),

Florida must not be like North Carolina then. If you do the speed limit here in NC you'll get run over.

I visited Scotland in 1996 and rented a car. I drove there like I drive here, and noticed that other drivers tended to pull over to let me go by. I didn't think I was pushing or tailgating but apparently they thought I was!
Listeroid 8/1