News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

BruceM does this lighting work 4 U

Started by Lloyd, September 30, 2012, 02:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd

JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

BruceM

Hi Llyod,
These do look like a better choice for boats having EMC issues with LED lighting.

There is a growing awareness of the problem of EMI from CFLs and LED lights, but it is of course just directed toward compatibility with other electronics.

I noticed that Linear Technology is now offering switching regulators that do what I've done for years; slow down the transition time of on/off current switching (wave form control) to dramatically reduce EMI.  There is a small energy efficiency and heat penalty for this, but surprisingly little. The same approach can be used with any PWM regulation design as well as brushless motor controls, as I did with my redesign of the EL-SID circ pump controllers.

Alas, I have vision/light spectrum problems with light produced by glowing phosphor, even when it is made via LED with pure, unpulsed DC.  It makes me see and feel "flicker", even though I can measure by photodiode that there is none, and the current source is pure battery DC. (I have MS and epilepsy.)   I haven't given up on LEDs entirely, I think it may be possible to "fill in the spectrum" by mixing in other (amber, red, orange, green, blue) LEDs in a panel light with many LEDs.  But for now I'm pretty happy with 25 cent pre-ban incandescents on 120VDC. They provide supplemental (PV source) heating in the winter when I use them most. 

I almost forgot to add a rant:
Screw Phillips Lighting and all the idiots who passed their damn light bulb bill. (Passed under Bush but supported by large numbers of cretins of both parties.)  Every expensive "full spectrum" and "rough service" incandescent bulb that Phillips makes was magically exempted, and they could not compete with the 25 cent  soft white bulb manufacturers. Even their halogens and IR PAR lights (ridiculously overpriced, very little gain in efficiency) were exempted. This is typical multinational corporate "green" scam crap.

In most of continental US, home lighting power use is greatest in the winter, due to shorter daylight hours, and LIGHTING HEAT IS NOT WASTED ENERGY. Du-oh.