News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Honda Generators

Started by Carlb, September 13, 2012, 02:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlb

A guy I sold a pressure washer to told me that he had two honda generators that didn't run at his house sitting outside under a tarp and asked me if i thought i could fix them.   Both were given to him because the engines didn't run.  He said if i could get them running I could keep the one i wanted and give him the other one back.   He brought them over and I proceeded to check them out.  Both had old stale fuel in them requiring a tank flush and a carburetor rebuild.  After I got the engines running one of the two generators was only running at 51hz and 128 VAC or 256 VAC when switched to 220.   

I replaced the brush set and AVR ( got both the adjustable avr and brush set delivered for 27.00 dollars)on this one and it now reads 120vac @60hz like it is supposed to.  The other generator (the one i kept) did not need a new AVR but I did replace the brush set since they are so cheap and easy to replace. 

Since i had the tanks off anyway i decided to paint them because they were sun faded and looked pink not red.  While the tanks were off I pressure washed the frame and engine.  I repainted the frame with the engine and generator still in the frames and reinstalled the tanks. 

Here is a photo of the two generators I kept the em3500s with electric start.  These are rated  @3500 watts with the 8 hp gx240 engine but i suspect that it will do 4k if pushed.

The one on the left is an EB3500sx this is the one i gave the man back with the new AVR and brush set.  The on on the right is the Em3500sx with electric start and 12v 8amp regulated charging setup that i kept.  Now i have a backup if my Listeroid ever fails.

One of the nice features that both of these Honda's have is the auto throttle feature.  If there is no load on the generator it will slow to an idle.  When a load is sensed it throttles up the engine to 3600 rpm.  As soon as the load drops it goes back to idle.  You can turn the auto throttle on or off via a rocker switch

My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

mobile_bob

very nice!

a classic win/win situation, he got something he wanted and you did too

it doesn't get better than that!

bob g

Ronmar

Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

LowGear

Hi Carlb,

I would have given back the one the wheels and tires didn't match on too.  Excellent decision. 

Casey

Carlb

Quote from: LowGear on September 13, 2012, 06:30:30 PM
Hi Carlb,

I would have given back the one the wheels and tires didn't match on too.  Excellent decision. 

Casey

I know those wheels were a deal breaker  ;D
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

BruceM

Nice work on the repairs and restoration, Carl.  They both look like new, except for those unmatched tires, of course.  ;)

bentcrafter

That's Interesting.

There's a lawn maintenance co not far from here. When I drove by yesterday, I noticed a small pile of 'red' motors sitting on a pallet near the rear of the shop. I stopped and quizzed him about them... "How about ten bucks a piece?", he said. Two were GX160 (5.5 HP) and one was a GX240 (8 HP). The 5.5's were connected to pumps, the solo 8 HP was without, but seems locked up. One of the 5.5 also appeared locked up. but when I removed the pump, it freed up, started and runs great (it has electric start (a $200 option). I haven't fooled with the other two yet.

A worthy note; Many of the new 'iS' series Hondas, now have electronic governors.
Robin/Subaru's little 7hp OHC has TBI (throttle body fuel injection).