Previous topic - Next topic

squarebob

GM90 6/1, 7.5 ST head, 150 Amp 24V Leece Neville, Delco 10si
Petter AA1 3.5 HP, 75 Amp 24V Leece Neville
2012 VW Sportwagen TDI, Average 39.1 MPG

deeiche

Quote from: mobile_bob on September 13, 2012, 02:07:13 AM
SNIP
with my luck however, by the time that comes around, natural gas prices will double or worse and make using it as an alternate (cheaper) fuel source not viable.

bob g
If you really think NG will cost that much more next year then hedge, buy some NG futures expiring next summer. 
Farmers sell commodities futures all the time to hedge their crops/meat production.

Ronmar

Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

Jens

Quote from: mobile_bob on September 13, 2012, 02:07:13 AM

i am going to keep looking to see if i can find a better one, i know that they used to make
very good, high quality hydrometers, but that was maybe 40 years ago since i last saw one.

Try one of those new fangled digital jobs .....

the thought also comes to me that maybe i would like another string of these batteries to alternate between, an A and a B set. 

Careful there Bob, next you will be talking bigger strings to improve life, more and more strings as backup and soon you have a giant room full of batteries - it creeps up on you, very sneaky !

Thob

8 volt batteries were commonly used as replacements for 6 volt batteries in old cars and tractors.  Turn up the regulator a bit to charge at 8V, the lights burn brighter, the ignition has a hotter spark, and the starter cranks better.  It might burn the points a littler sooner, however.  But that was when there was a screw on the back of the generator that adjusted the "third brush" and you could easily turn it up.  Maybe they still do that in some places?

Other than the convenience of multiple cells in one package for a car, I'd rather have individual 2V cells; especially in a stationary application like PV.  It makes it so much easier to fiddle with and correct a single cell.  I might even like 1.2V Ni Fe batteries better... except for the cost.
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

mobile_bob

i won't be going with a much larger battery bank, at least for some time

as for nife (edison cells) i wouldn't take a set if they were the same cost as lead acid
the charging efficiency is dreadful on those things.

and contrary to folklore their lifespan is no better than a rolls surrette 5000 series.
(at least in the chinese cells, which to my knowledge are the only manufactures at this time)

bob g

vdubnut62

Hmm, I thought the Edison cells lasted  pretty much forever. When they die, one simply drains and replaces the electrolyte (lye solution).
I'm glad I didn't take the plunge!
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Tom Reed

If you had 2 banks, you could test one with a full time de-sulfator.  :-*
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

mike90045

Well, I guess I'm the lab rat for the edison cells.   Mine are currently now using a lot of water, with very short absorb times.  I don't know if that means the electrolyte is " carbonated " or what.  Back to the vendors phone tree !

BruceM

Any word from the vendor regarding your water use and short absorb times, Mike?

I'm a lot more optimistic about NIFE batteries than BobG. I just don't like the price, yet, and I'd love to hear more from off grid NIFE pioneers.

mike90045

> Any word from the vendor regarding your water use and short absorb times, Mike?

Spoke with him yesterday, and he thinks I should roll back some of my charge voltage and time, so maybe I'll do that.  I also ordered the carbonate test kit, and will see what shape the electrolyte is in.