News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Power grid failure makes 370M swelter

Started by Carlb, July 30, 2012, 04:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

remember you heard it here first
when its all said and done, there will be 1.2billion people out of power in india!

bob g

highwater

for some reason the word 'avalanche' is sticking in my mind ;D

Randall

Horsepoor

I see this as a tremendous opportunity for the India cottage Listeroid industry. A guy like Patool (Poweranand) will surely know how to meet the anticipated demand for all those middle income households seeking a generator to ensure future AC in 100F summer heat, refrigerator, fresh food, fans / lights, etc. This is good news for our listeroid hobby.

Oh, I really liked the video of the guy on top of the train grabbing hold of the high power line. I thought it was a good illustration of how stupid some people can be, what a way to kill yourself, smoking corpse, perhaps clothing on fire (I.e. Leather sandals), and what appears to red fluid gushing from the side of his head. Fortunately, this guy will not be able transmit any of his genes into the human gene pool. Darwinism at work.

vdubnut62

I simply can't believe that mess of wiring. :o
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

fabricator

I have a friend who works for USAID, he has been over there several times and has actual pics he took of those rats nests, he says in some places it's like being under an awning, the sun is blotted out, in small villages the common grid tie scenario is you get hold of the village "expert" and he comes over with his truck with a scaffold on it, he then strips a section of the over head line (one wire at a time of course) then wraps several turns of romex around it and puts some kind of clamp on it to hold it together, then repeats the process for the other wires.
Remember over there everything is 220 mostly 3 phase, you then have a roll of wire with a completely live end and the home/hovel/cardboard box/mud hut owner is responsible for the hook up at the other end, for the most part fuses panels or breaker boxes are unheard of and usually the romex is just run on the ground, sounds like a smart grid to me. ::)
Some estimations are that more than 50% of the electrical power there is off the books/stolen, like this.

LowGear

I might be a bit miffed at the power company but I do love the grid.  Double-Ditto for the inspector. 

Regulations - It's at moments like this that common sense rubs up against human reality.

Casey

Derb

Hey Bro! Could you trace a fault for me? :D
Derb.
Kawerau
Bay of Plenty
New Zealand
Honda EU20i
Anderson 2 HP/Fisher & Paykel PM conversion
Anderson 3.5 HP
Villiers Mk20
Chinese 6500 watt single phase 4 stroke

vdubnut62

They must be smarter than the situation looks.  I can't comprehend how they ever got the mess to not burn down the whole damn place, let alone repair anything.
And, I think you fellows are being very kind calling that mess a "grid".
Ron.

My opinion only and does not  necessarily reflect the opinions of the forum owners or the readers thereof.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

fabricator

They probably don't even attempt to trace down problems, How could you in a mess like that? They just string a new line.

LowGear

Just putting the word "Free" back into free enterprise.

;D

Casey

Hey, Maybe they could borrow some money from the Chinese to build they're infrastructure?

fabricator

I doubt it, the Chinese are goin broke lending us money.