News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Power grid failure makes 370M swelter

Started by Carlb, July 30, 2012, 04:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlb

NEW DELHI — A power grid failure blacked out northern India for hours Monday, halting trains, forcing hospitals and airports onto backup power and providing a dark, sweltering reminder of the nation's inability to meet its energy needs as it strives to be an economic power.

While the midsummer outage was unique in its reach — it hit 370 million people, more than the population of the United States and Canada combined — its impact was softened by Indians' familiarity with almost daily blackouts of varying duration.
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

rcavictim

Just some guy shorting out the high tension circuit on an electric train with his body.  Happens a lot apparently.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfyyii_man-electrocuted-on-the-train-india_news
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Henry W

That clip is about three years old. I believe I posted that clip somewhere on this forum back in 2009 or 2010. I bet it does happen more than once though.

Carlb

how you ever seen how they have there electric wires just strewn all over the place.  The power poles look like rats nests.   
My Projects

Henry W

I have some good friends from New Delhi and back in 1995 I missed a chance to visit. It would of been once in a lifetime chance to see thier lifestyle. The reason I did not go is I met the gal I married.

rcavictim

Quote from: Carlb on July 30, 2012, 05:25:37 PM
how you ever seen how they have there electric wires just strewn all over the place.  The power poles look like rats nests.   

That's a bit insulting to rats.  At least rats nests follow a convention, at even a bare minimum by definition!  :D
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

bschwartz

At least they have plenty of Listeroids to make their own power....   ::) ::)
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

deeiche

Quote from: bschwartz on July 31, 2012, 06:53:34 AM
At least they have plenty of Listeroids to make their own power....   ::) ::)
unfortunate for them is that they are powered by increasingly costly imported oil as the rupee declines in value.

mobile_bob

the number is up over 600 million people out of power, which is just about everyone in the country
that rely on the national grid.

that has to be a real big problem!

they report having one of the smartest grids in the world!

hmmmm, if that is the case, i wonder just how fragile our grid is?

bob g

Carlb

I suspect that their smart grid is not too smart.  I have seen how they run their power wires in the towns and it is a frightening site for sure.   
My Projects

squarebob

GM90 6/1, 7.5 ST head, 150 Amp 24V Leece Neville, Delco 10si
Petter AA1 3.5 HP, 75 Amp 24V Leece Neville
2012 VW Sportwagen TDI, Average 39.1 MPG

Henry W

Ahhhhh.................. Ok, ::) So they have some wiring issues.

Seriously, I wonder if they have any standards.

henry

Tom Reed

As a programmer who's seen a LOT of work farmed out to India. I wonder how their tec and call centers are holding up. I think I'll call the customer service number on my CC and see if they answer.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Geno

It was reported over 700 million about an hour ago. 10% of the worlds population  :o

Thanks, Geno

LowGear

Don't worry!  Without all that government regulation they'll soon have a fix in that will last far into the fall or would it be Spring in India? 

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Casey