Bought a 6000W Gillette diesel generator w/ a 15LD400 Lombardini engine

Started by Simtech, July 29, 2012, 12:30:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simtech

What can I expect longevity-wise?  Any tips or techniques?  Overall opinion?

Its a 3600 rpm "screamer" but from what I understand its a very _GOOD_ 3600 rpm screamer.  When I bought it I plugged in two 2000 watt electric heaters and the engine noise didnt change one iota.

Its supposed to be contractor grade and super reliable but I've never actually talked to anybody who's owned one.  I'd looked at their website before and it all looks pretty good, but a new one was out of my price range.

Gillette goes on and on at their website about the generator head being super reliable w/ ultra robust capacitors and diodes, extra higher grade insulation, etc etc etc.

I've heard that Lombardini diesels are very reliable as well, but again I dont know much about them.

I came across this one on the Seattle craigslist for $1000 (about a third the cost of a new one), it has 143 hours on it and and is clean as a whistle.  The guy who sold it was using it as a whole home backup, but he changed over to a natural gas standby genset (which I'll also do eventually).  He praised the genny to the sky - but then he would since he sold it.  
He also said that during last winters ice storm it was running for 6 days for 12 hours a day and he'd change out the oil every other day.

I removed and cleaned the fine mesh metal screen filter and it was clean, he said he'd never changed it.

BTW, this mambajama is oh-my-god LOUD, I'll be building a hush box to put it in.

rcavictim

"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.