News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

which way is north, I'm ssuming the oppiste is south

Started by Lloyd, July 26, 2012, 11:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd

which way is north, I'm assuming the opposite is south.
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

AdeV

Magnetic North has always been cockeyed from Geographic North, as I am sure you know... Indeed, there is evidence that the poles have, in the past, flipped, so Magnetic North actually became Magnetic South. I guess the big unknown is: Does it "flip" near-as-damnit instantly, in which case we'll probably see a couple of weeks of total chaos before things get back to normal; or does it "flip" by drifting fairly slowly around the globe; in which case we will see years of chaos.

IIRC, scientists largely believe another magnetic flip is due anytime soon...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

LowGear

Quoteflip is due anytime soon...

+ or - how may millennium?

vdubnut62

Actually Casey, some think currently we are a bit overdue. The periods  between pole reversals are called chrons, and last from from 100,000 to a little over a million years with an average of somewhere around 450,000 years.
   The last reversal was around 780,000 years ago, sooo... Do You Feel Lucky, Punk?   :D Sorry, I can't help myself sometimes.
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

mobile_bob

not that i am going to lose any sleep over the poles swapping positions,
i just would rather not be on an airliner when it happens... that is if it is a quick
change.

other than that activity, i can't imagine it having much of an impact on me where i am at.

(back to rat holing more food from the garden)

:)

bob g

LowGear

QuoteThe last reversal was around 780,000 years ago

So in 220 millennium we'll be poised for a record - - - - + or - 100 millennium (10% of scale).

Casey

deeiche

a quick change in geologic time could be 10000 years

cgwymp

Quote from: deeiche on July 28, 2012, 07:31:05 AM
a quick change in geologic time could be 10000 years

Cool -- just enough time for me to get my Listeroid finished! ;-)
Listeroid 8/1

LowGear

Hey cgwymp,

Let's start our generators in an around the world handshake just as the core flips, or is it flops.

Casey

vdubnut62

Reverses. ;D

Ron RRS.  (resident redneck smartass)
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

mobile_bob

Frank S

Some time ago I remember reading a white paper published by a Geo-astro physics professor. now if that is not a strange combination of a field of study there never was one.
Any way She had hypothesized the theory of pole reversal being coincidental with the impact of a large mostly iron asteroid there-by  triggering  an instability in the magnetic flux of the earth. which one time possibly lasted for  a million years before stabilizing again.
This just goes to show that anyone can have a theory about nearly anything .
Personally I look at it this way if the absolute center of the earth is a solid nickle/ iron core the size of the moon surrounded by a molten mostly iron core half the size or mars then beyond that is the layers of the mantle before the crust which is shaped somewhat like 4 kidney beans squished together the surface of  all of this is covered by nearly 70% water tenaciously held in a delicate orbit around a nuclear fire ball with 7 other planets 1 sub planet possibly a few micro planets 60 to 200 moons and trillions of asteroids all in a more or less geosynchronous orbit around the star it is a wonder that the magnetic poles of the Earth have been as nearly stable as they have been for the past few billion years.
OF course if you were on a flight to Australia and the poles were to suddenly  instantaneously reverse  you might wind up in Greenland not very funny if you had been planning for a few days at the beach. but wound up stranded on a glacier. LOL
some will never escape the confines of the box. I've lived outside of mine for so long that I can no longer even find my box

LowGear

Quotenot very funny if you had been planning for a few days at the beach. but wound up stranded on a glacier. LOL
But how long would the glaciers be there once the inversion took place?  "Weather based on the earth's core in relationship to the Sun."  Do I smell grant money for an empirical primary study on the beaches of Australia?

Casey

vdubnut62

Quote from: Frank S on July 29, 2012, 11:32:09 AM
Some time ago I remember reading a white paper published by a Geo-astro physics professor. now if that is not a strange combination of a field of study there never was one.
Any way She had hypothesized the theory of pole reversal being coincidental with the impact of a large mostly iron asteroid there-by  triggering  an instability in the magnetic flux of the earth. which one time possibly lasted for  a million years before stabilizing again.
This just goes to show that anyone can have a theory about nearly anything .
Personally I look at it this way if the absolute center of the earth is a solid nickle/ iron core the size of the moon surrounded by a molten mostly iron core half the size or mars then beyond that is the layers of the mantle before the crust which is shaped somewhat like 4 kidney beans squished together the surface of  all of this is covered by nearly 70% water tenaciously held in a delicate orbit around a nuclear fire ball with 7 other planets 1 sub planet possibly a few micro planets 60 to 200 moons and trillions of asteroids all in a more or less geosynchronous orbit around the star it is a wonder that the magnetic poles of the Earth have been as nearly stable as they have been for the past few billion years.
OF course if you were on a flight to Australia and the poles were to suddenly  instantaneously reverse  you might wind up in Greenland not very funny if you had been planning for a few days at the beach. but wound up stranded on a glacier. LOL

Wow. That sure puts a lot of things in perspective.  Especially that "Nobody gets out of this life alive."
Ron  ;)

mobile_bob

just wait, they will call it "man made pole inversion"

you know man is the cause of every malady in some folks eyes.

bob g