Started by Ronmar, July 15, 2012, 05:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronmar

Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

EBI-WPO

Fan, alternator, and bell adaptor too.

Terry
To have B.S. aimed at you is an insult to your intelligence......To have B.S. spread about you is an insult to your character.....Neither should be tolerated willingly.   EBI-WPO 2010

unimog_jason

Has anyone ever found a source for SAE 6 alternators?  I've been trying to find one to bolt to my Isuzu but not having a lot of luck.

You'd need a similar alternator for this Yanmar as well.

Jason

mobile_bob

if you can't find a suitable alternator, it wouldn't be at all hard to make up a piloted drive stub with an outboard brg support mounted
in a plate, which would be bolted to the sae 6 housing.

its nice to see that surplus center still comes up with alternatives from time to time.

without them there really isn't much to choose from, at least economically speaking.

bob g

EBI-WPO

I am currently trying to figure a way to buy a second one.

Terry
To have B.S. aimed at you is an insult to your intelligence......To have B.S. spread about you is an insult to your character.....Neither should be tolerated willingly.   EBI-WPO 2010

squarebob

I really want one of these engines. Not for any project. I just want one sitting in the shop!!!

Bob
GM90 6/1, 7.5 ST head, 150 Amp 24V Leece Neville, Delco 10si
Petter AA1 3.5 HP, 75 Amp 24V Leece Neville
2012 VW Sportwagen TDI, Average 39.1 MPG

BioHazard

Quote from: squarebob on July 16, 2012, 08:39:27 PM
I really want one of these engines. Not for any project. I just want one sitting in the shop!!!

Bob

LOL, me too! I was sad that I missed out on them the first go-round. Now they're more expensive...
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

squarebob

Interesting way they quote the fuel consumption:

Fuel Rate
  17.5 mm³/stroke@10.6 kW/3600 rpm

Bob
GM90 6/1, 7.5 ST head, 150 Amp 24V Leece Neville, Delco 10si
Petter AA1 3.5 HP, 75 Amp 24V Leece Neville
2012 VW Sportwagen TDI, Average 39.1 MPG

mobile_bob

the added expense on these engines i likely justified by the addition of the flywheel housing and other bits that
the earlier offerings didn't have?

seems like  a heck of a buy to me.

bob g

TimSR2

The hookup is not common. Sae 6 bell  and a Sae 7.5 flywheel. This setup was meant for a dry clutch in a  tractor or skidsteer.  The trouble is getting the coupling right

But,--- I see in one of the pictures a little 3 bolt circle stub-shaft hookup. Now if this little 3 bolt stub-shaft could be sourced  ( and Yanmar must make one, or those holes wouldn't be there)  then this would make a very nice  belt drive,  side by side 2400 or 3000 rpm/1800 rpm genset, with a ST 5 or ST 7.5 head.

Belt drive is best !

Henry W

1800 rpm is to slow for that 2 cylinder engine. If it was a three cylinder engine it would be a different story. Hayes makes bearing supported a stub shaft kit that will mount on that housing and flywheel assembly.

Run that engine around 2600 rpm and it will do fine.

Henry

BioHazard

Quote from: mobile_bob on July 17, 2012, 07:24:02 PM
the added expense on these engines i likely justified by the addition of the flywheel housing and other bits that
the earlier offerings didn't have?

seems like  a heck of a buy to me.

bob g

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great deal, unfortunately I think it would cost a good bit to get it into generator form. Just because the quality parts you'd need are so expensive and not sold at surplus center. I'd hate to think of what these cost retail, probably 3-5 times as much.

I wonder how it would run on natural gas.  ;D
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

TimSR2

hwew,

Actually I'd probably like it best at  3000.  Those little guys are very happy spinning up that high.   (maybe that was not clear in my post)   but on VEE belt drive. Definitely on v belt drive.  All you have to do is find the stub shaft adaptor, which should be under 100 dollars..... even if you wanted direct drive to a 3600 rpm head the best way to go would be the stubshaft adaptor and love-joy on a longer frame.  The close coupling bellhousing and flexplate will be very hard to find and expensive.

Henry W

3000 RPM is fine also. These 2 cylinder engines run very well around 2600-3000.

My opinion on running at 3600 rpm is the engines torque curve drops rapidly and the Hp curve is getting to the point of being flat.

I just wrote 2600 because it is near the lowest limit I would personly run one.

Some generator manufactures that I personaly spent time visiting set thier engines to run at 2800. They feel it is a good compromise on HP, effecency and noise reduction.

Henry

playdiesel

With 263 in stock they should last a couple days I hope? I missed out last time also but going out to dump change can and count  right now,,,, :'(
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate