News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Kohler k301 Flywheel removal

Started by Tom Reed, July 05, 2012, 12:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Reed

I was, I guess, fortunate to swap an old 8hp Briggs generator for a Miller Roughneck welder generator/generator. The bore on the engine is shot, so it's being dissassembled for a rebuild. But the flywheel is being difficult to remove. I have tried all my usual tricks. A damper wheel puller with 2 - 3/8" bolts is tightened as much as I dare. Neated the flywheel a couple of times with a plumbers acetlyne torch and soaked the shaft with PB blaster. Still no joy. Any one have a suggestion to remove that beastie.

I've never worked on a Kohler engine before. That machine is a master piece in castiron. Very well designed and built.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

mobile_bob

put the nut back on the end of the crank but leave it a few threads loose
take a brass drift and smack the end of the crank with a 3-4lb hammer

if that doesn't work, then put your puller on the flywheel, tighten it up good, and smack the end again.

it should pop right off the taper.

bob g

Tom Reed

Well I left out that I did smack the puller with a 16oz ball peen hammer. I'll try something bigger. Won't that damage the main roller bearings?
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Tom Reed

The 2nd whack with big 4lb hammer did it. I will inspect the bearings carefully before reusing.
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

mobile_bob

i don't think the smack is particularly good for the brgs, however because of the mass of the flywheel is relatively large
it absorbs most of the hammers energy and very little excess ends up seen by the brg.

something like a guy having a cement block broken on his head with a sledge hammer.

bob g

TimSR2

It won't hurt the bearings.  Just put on some load with a lever or puller  ( or even hang it from your fingertips by the flywheel) , and smack it with a wood or brass hammer.

K301 is a great engine, and has lots of torque. When rebuilding, make sure you put hardened valve seats in it, as  most of them were  built for leaded gas.