Surplus Center Yanmar 2TNV70 generator build

Started by tinkerer, July 04, 2012, 03:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinkerer

Hello everyone. I have posted on here before with questions regarding my upcoming generator project using a Yanmar 2TNV70 from SC. I decided to start a build thread so those of you interested could follow. I am using a ST 12 generator head from Tom at Central Georgia Generator. By the way, Tom and Chris are both great people to work with. I highly recommend them. I will be belt driving it with a set of 8 rib serpentine belt pulleys, also from Tom at CGG. They should be showing up any day. I will take pictures when they get here. I started a post awhile back in the General section titled "Flange Bearing ?". From all of your wonderful knowledge and input, I have decided to make a plate that will be attached to the starter mounting plate. It will be mounted 6-8" from the flywheel surface. In this plate I will mount a 4 bolt flange bearing. I will mount a jaw type coupler to the flywheel face. There will be a shaft that goes through the flange bearing, then a jaw coupler will be attached to the shaft. The end of the shaft will then slide into the jaw coupler attached to the flywheel. There will be a bronze bushing in the bore of this jaw coupler. The drive pulley will then be attached to the end of the shaft sticking out of the flange bearing. I hope I described this in a way that can me understood. By the way, this is not my own creation. It is a collaboration of ideas from all of your great minds. Again I thank all of you!

tinkerer

I have searched around for a radiator and here is what I am thinking of using:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CIVIC-DEL-SOL-3-ROW-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-12-FAN-CAP-/380363062386?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588f67bc72&vxp=mtr

What do you guys think? Will it keep my engine cool when its 100 degrees outside? The only reason I ask this is we have just gone through a week long power outage where the temps were in the 100's. The small gas air cooled generators we used seemed to run pretty hot even with a light load. Many even failed. I want to make sure I have plenty of radiator to keep this thing cool as I don't want to cook it.

EBI-WPO

tinkerer,

That 3-core should be plenty. Switch your fan on at about 10 degrees higher than your thermostat, maybe more depending on where it runs with a load. I think the Yanmar info says it is a 195f thermostat. Most of the fan switches available will start the fan at a specified temp (say 200f) then run down to 5-10 degrees lower before shutting off (hysterisis). This works great when chosen correctly to work around your thermostat. Looking forward to your build. Pics or it didn't happen!

Terry
To have B.S. aimed at you is an insult to your intelligence......To have B.S. spread about you is an insult to your character.....Neither should be tolerated willingly.   EBI-WPO 2010

tinkerer

My pulleys showed up in the mail yesterday. I bought them through Tom and Chris at CGG. They were machined by Mike Montieth. Wow! He does great work! What an artist! Anyways, here are a few pictures of the engine, ST-12, and pulleys. I ended up pulling the St head apart to look things over and check out the bearings. The bearings are sealed. The bearing on the shaft end seems a bit rough. I'll run it for awhile and then change both bearings out. I took the stock doghouse off and mounted an 8"x8" plastic electrical box. I'm thinking of moving the rectifier to inside the head on the brush end for a little more airflow over it. What do you guys think of the little light? Is it necessary? Is there any other purpose other than showing the field winding is producing power? I didn't mount in in my new box yet. I've thought about removing it if its just gonna fail or cause problems. Here are some pictures. My radiator and alternator are on order and should be here next week. I'll post pics when they arrive.

tinkerer

tinkerer

tinkerer

I also ordered my ST head with an AVR. I plan on mounting it off the generator head in another box. I thought it would be best to get it away from as much vibration as possible. My head originally came with a rheostat to adjust the voltage. I think I will get one on hand for a backup in the event that the AVR would happen to fail.

tinkerer

I have had some time to do a little building. Here's some pictures of my progress....

tinkerer

I bought an alternator for a John Deere diesel gator that has the 3TNV70 engine. I recieved the alternator and mounted it up. I then proceded to mount the muffler and found out that the alternator interfered with it and it couldn't be mounted. I then searched on ebay and found this elbow that fits perfect!!! Its off of a John Deere lawn tractor with a small yanmar engine.

tinkerer

Here is a couple of pictured of the engine and generator head sitting on the base. I was figuring out where to mount things. I originally was going to use one wheel on the front to attach a handle too and use it too pull the generator around. After getting all my pieces and parts together and figuring approximately what this thing is going to weigh, I decided I better get another wheel for the front. I guess another order too Harbor freight fo another wheel isn't too bad of a deal.... ;D

vdubnut62

Nice Job!  I really like the frame and setup.
About the little red light, danged if I can fathom why it's on there, mine had a switch to turn it on and off  ??? Couldn't figure that out either. At any rate, the bulb failed very quickly
and now I don't have to worry about it anymore. :D
I kinda think it's on there so one can look out the window and make sure it is still running.  That is contingent on it not running the house lights, of course.
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

evanjohnson

Nice setup!

Any new PIX or progress?  What RPM are you running/ what size pulleys did you have made?  Was the jaw coupling a stock item or did you have to modify it to fit your flywheel?

Why the ST12 head?

Thanks and keep Tinkering. 

rcavictim

Quote from: tinkerer on August 05, 2012, 07:42:03 PM
Here is a couple of pictured of the engine and generator head sitting on the base. I was figuring out where to mount things. I originally was going to use one wheel on the front to attach a handle too and use it too pull the generator around. After getting all my pieces and parts together and figuring approximately what this thing is going to weigh, I decided I better get another wheel for the front. I guess another order too Harbor freight fo another wheel isn't too bad of a deal.... ;D

I had the same idea, using a single swivel wheel on the portable generator I finished building this summer based on an air cooled 6 HP Yanmar clone Launtop air cooled diesel.  I decided to go with two 10" pneumatic swivel casters from Princess Auto when they went on sale for half price at $20 each.  I figure this will much improve the stability of the unit when moving it around the grassy field if necessary.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.