News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Flange bearing question??

Started by tinkerer, June 14, 2012, 10:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank S

The nice thing about the timing or cog belt system is this is actually a sprocket & chain method
just take the engine RPM 2600 in your case divide by desired gen RPM 1800 for a 4 pole gen to have 60 HZ
them multiply the smaller sprocket by the quotient  in this case 1.44444444444 say 36t x 1.4444= 52t try to use a small sprocket toot count that will come out to be an equal tooth count for the large sprocket. Also using industry standard stock shelf items are better than having to use special order non stock items.
My company has a CNC gantry drill that uses a 30 mm wide belt with 3mm wide teeth made of non stretch fiber to move the 3 ton gantry back & forth the belt is 7 meters long 3.4 mt loop and last about 1 year @ a 16 hour per day 6 days per week duty cycle.
very strong very efficient low maintenance   
some will never escape the confines of the box. I've lived outside of mine for so long that I can no longer even find my box

tinkerer

Terry,
What are you using for a radiator on your Yanmar?? I'm thhinking about using a radiator from a Honda Civic with an electric fan.
Ben

EBI-WPO

tinkerer,
I'm not sure what the radiator fits, I ordered it late in 2010. I'll see if I can cross the number back to an application. It is small and takes 1-1/8 hoses. Honda Civic should be more than enough. The small aluminum radiators (even the cheap imported variety) work just fine for these applications.

Terry
To have B.S. aimed at you is an insult to your intelligence......To have B.S. spread about you is an insult to your character.....Neither should be tolerated willingly.   EBI-WPO 2010

EBI-WPO

All,
My belt drive system is the H200 series. It is 1/2" Pitch x 2" width. I have three of the 600H200 belts which are approx. 60" in length. Found a few suppliers in the $40-50 range if I need to adjust length.
Very smooth running, at very low tension, albeit "noisy" in relation to some other belts.

Terry
To have B.S. aimed at you is an insult to your intelligence......To have B.S. spread about you is an insult to your character.....Neither should be tolerated willingly.   EBI-WPO 2010

tinkerer

Well, I have decided to go ahead and start getting my parts together for my bearing supported stubshaft. I plan on using an 1 1/4" shaft and L100 series love-joy couplers. I have looked at many different types of flange bearings and am confused on what to buy. I have found prices to range from $10-well over $100. I have found choices such as ball bearing or tapered roller bearing. Also, expansion type or not. Set screw, ecentric, and concentric locking collars. Self aligning or not... Too many choices for a bean head like me... ??? I don't know where to start to make a selection. I tried calling the guys at the local "motion industries" and the guy wasn't much help. You guys have any recommendations?

By the way, my engine will be running at or around 2800 RPM. I did see that was one consideration on selecting a bearing.

tinkerer

Anyone have any suggestions?
Ben

mobile_bob

i would use a standard cast iron mount, without any form of locking mechanism
reason being i would not want any restriction on the crankshaft end play, which might cause issues with
the crankshaft thrust washers or thrust flanges.

unless you can find a flange mount brg that uses roller elements, so that the shaft is free to move in and out a few thousands of an inch

this is one of the issues you will have to contend with, it may or may not be a serious issue, but certainly one you need to be aware of.

bob g

tinkerer

Bob, the shaft will not be attached to the flywheel other than being piloted in a bushing in the love-joy coupler attachd to the flywheel.

mobile_bob

my bad!  i forgot the lovejoy and piloted shaft that would allow for some end movement
so then use a locking collar of whatever type that is widely available

no reason to spend a fortune on the brg, however you might consider
the stamped steel clam shell style, the brg is mounted between to stamped steel half shells which makes replacement of the brg
very easy, and cheaper. they are self aligning which helps too.

they make them with grease zerks too.

i would think any medium duty greaseable brg would be adequate for the duty you will be putting it under.

such as

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=1-207-20-4&catname=powerTrans

bob g