My Cat/perkins diesel generator build

Started by panaceabeachbum, September 22, 2009, 12:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panaceabeachbum

Here are a few pics of the beginning of my cat engine generator build

panaceabeachbum

Henry W

Hello panaceabeachbum,

Good to see you. I'm glad you were able to post some of the pictures you had on the other forum. I remember you had posts on making housings an some other stuff. If you can try to post the other stuff.

If you can contact any of the other Cat/Perkins owners let them know about microcogen.info. We would be glad to have them aboard.

I am hoping to start my New co-gen project with the Cat engine sometime in the fall or winter. I can't wait to start.

Henry

LincTex

What size generator head do you plan to run with that little Cat/Perkins?
Metro 6-1 from Sam Crosby, 2007
Chang Chai 1110 - 18 HP

Henry W

I am planning on using two Leece-Neville 110-555JHO 12/14 Volt 160 Amps Alternators.

Henry

panaceabeachbum

I am using the 8kw Brushless from Tom at Georgia Generator

WGB

Very nice, is it ok to ask prices? Looks very top notch.

Henry W

Hello panaceabeachbum,

How far are you with your build.

What radiator are you using?

Henry

panaceabeachbum

I have the frame mostly done, I will be finishing up the pto over the next few days , just finishing up a big project for a customer first. 

I have not decided on the radiator yet , i have a couple of decent car radi laying around but I am thinking about using a late 90's honda car radiator, nice size and under $100 for a new aftermarket one.  I have a nice airfilter I have machined that uses a very nice off the shelf fram element . mostly down to the pto and some finishing touches .

The frame ended up being a little over kill at 75lbs but wanted to use some 3' x 3/8" angle and 3" box tubing I had in the scrap pile.   I hope to have the last of the add ons welded to the frame next week and I will sandblast it and powder coat.   I think its just small enough i can can get the entire frame in my low buck home improvised oven.  http://www.thompsonmachine.net/pcoat.htm

Henry W

I can't wait to see everything you have not posted.

75lbs is not bad for a frame. 3" X 3/8" is goog stuff. It should make a nice rigid frame.

Can you take some pictures of the air filter? I have use to a CNC and Lathe at work. We are allowed to use them on small projects at times.

I like your oven! I have to look at the pivtures more closely.

Henry

panaceabeachbum

Ill snap some pics of the air cleaner and post tommorow, its a very simple affair . I found a fram filter at walmart that measures 5" diam x 6" long with a nice thick rubber molded into each end. I machined an aluminum end cap and a base cap with a nipple to slip a rubber hose over , would have been easier to just buy the K+N mentioned in the other thread for $25 but that would be to easy .

I made the end caps for this one from aluminum , I am using the same element in my airboat and I used grey 1/2" thick pvc sheet to make the endcaps for it , fairly cheap and salt resistant

Henry W

Henry W

hello  panaceabeachbum,

Any updates on your Cat project?

Henry