Present value of 2004-era listeroid and related sundrys...?

Started by EdK, February 25, 2012, 06:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdK

Sad to say I've not been very active on this forum. Really the biggest reason is due to health issues for the past several years. After a serious illness I joined the forum in 2010 in hopes of sorting out my backup genset woes (my gear had already been laying around in a unheated garage for several years and had accumulated some surface rust). The good news is that I now have a Changfa genset. The bad new is that the Listeroid that drew me toward this DIY effort will likely not ever get finished (by me). I have decided to move the Listeroid down the road. In doing so I'm undecided as to just (1) list the 6/1, ST5 and pulley as-is which are as received from Joel - not checked for sand or run-in to further embed anything that could be there or (2) perform some sort of rudimentary inspection of crank journals, etc to verify some degree of integrity for the benefit of the "kit" builder. I am not prepared to carefully rebuild this thing just to sell it. I'm not interested in getting rich off this as some appear to on ebay but rather to get my money back and reclaim the space.

Anyone willing to lend a sentence or two of advice would be much appreciated. Thanks, Ed

Horsepoor

EdK

The engine is located in NH. Does the location in the US really have a bearing on this (outside of AK and HI)?

This thread was not intended to serve as a sneaky "for sale" thread. I can understand where someone might be interested. However if this does not continue on the intended path then out of respect for the forum I will delete it.

Ed

mobile_bob

don't worry about the post about selling the listeroid, no one here is going to get up into a knot about an add for doing such...
quite the contrary, there are none being imported into the country so those that come up for sale will find new homes generally very quickly.

you should have no problem getting your money back, and maybe even make a couple dollars depending on what you paid for it.

what you paid for it will have no bearing on what you gave for it.

for instance a 6/1 might be worth 1500 bucks to someone, and you might have paid 500 or 2500, it is worth what someone will pay for it.

as for where it is located, there are many who will pay a bit more if they can simply go pick it up, and others that will need to pay somewhat less
if they have to pay 500  or more to have it shipped 3000 miles.

good luck

bob g

EdK

Thanks Bob for the reassurance...

Good point on the value being somewhat regional due to shipping expense. While I'd be open to shipping, of course the real value is to an individual who can pick it up in person in what amount to a day's drive. For example anyone from NJ, eastern PA & NY and all of New England could potentially do that so that is quite a bit of population. When I purchased it, it was sent from the West coast and it cost a chunk of change back in '04 and it is probably about double to make the same trip now.

So in the ballpark of $1500 is a fair price these days? I've no use for the ST-5 and pulley so maybe around $2000 for all? Yes I've seen a couple on ebay and Craig's list for double or triple that (and who knows if they'll ever sell) and I'm not in the least interested in chasing that.

dieselgman

Sounds like you are on the right track Ed... our 6/1 kits are selling for $1990 a set.

Best of luck!

dieselgman
Ford Powerstroke, Caterpillar 3304s, Cummins M11, Too many Listers to count.

Ronmar

Was this one of the Utterpower "kit" engines, allmand drive pully and ST-5?  Or more specifically, one of the non-factory test run engines George was importing?  If so, I would do nothing more than open the case and spray some oil around the inside to make sure it stays rust free.  An un-run, non sand damaged engine ready for a 6/1 genset project with serpentine drive pully and generator would hav a good value.  If rust free, you will most certainly get your money out of it...

I passed on one on CL about 2 years back and kicked myself a few times for it.  If it was in the northwest, I would be interested, as it would be nice to have a backup 6/1...
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

Tom Reed

I bought mine from George in '04. This was when he was just starting to figure out how much sand was in them. It was early in the process of figuring out how to turn these sow's ears into silk purses.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

EdK

Quote from: Ronmar on February 26, 2012, 04:19:51 PM
Was this one of the Utterpower "kit" engines, allmand drive pully and ST-5?  Or more specifically, one of the non-factory test run engines George was importing?

I cannot confirm that it was not run at the factory. Yes, it was spring of '04 and the package a joint effort between George and Joel: 6/1, allmand drive pully and ST-5. This is why I had initially asked if it would be important to perform any inspection: as Tom said I had my eyes opened to what George was finding out while my 6/1 sat on a pallet in my garage. What could be the worse case for a prospective buyer? Crank scored probably. Most anything else is pretty repairable.

vdubnut62

I sure wish I was a little more "liquid" at the moment.  My dream outfit comes up for sale and I'm not ready for it. :'(
As the old saying goes " Iffen they wuz sellin' steamboats fer a dime apiece, all I could do would be run up and down the bank hollerin ain't  that cheap".
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Ronmar

Crank scored and rod bearings shot is what can be expected if it was test run at the factory.  That was why George started speccing them unrun from the factory to allow a through teardown and sand inspection/removal by the end user before that first smoke.  I sourced my engine and gen from them and that was the main reason I ordered mine thru George and joel, that and the beautifull generator drive pully.  

I passed on a $1500 Utterpower 6/1, gen and pully on a Ibeam base a few years back on CL(unrun partially completed project).  Have kicked myself a few times since then over that...
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

Jens

For those people kicking themselves - look in the 'hardware for sale by members' forum for a nice 20/2
<ducking and running away>

Tom Reed

My first one was "Factory Tested". The bottom end was fair, but I think they dumped a bunch of casting sand into the cylinder when they put the head on. The liner and piston were wasted. George was good enough to send a replacement that was in much better condition. I was not prepared to a complete tare down when I was promised a good engine. The one I have now was just given a good clean out and inspection and now has almost 1400 hours on it. I think mine was the last batch of Ashwamegh's George bought.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

JohnF

In '04 the engines were test run at the factory.  Wasn't till around '07 that we wised up and insisted that they be delivered without having been run.  To make sure of that we told the factory to ship them with the flywheels loosely fitted so we could space them properly on the shaft - good excuse but it worked.
John F
www.woodnstuff.ca
Listers, Changfas, Redstones, AG's and anything else diesel I can get my hands on!

vdubnut62

Quote from: Jens on February 26, 2012, 10:57:33 PM
For those people kicking themselves - look in the 'hardware for sale by members' forum for a nice 20/2
<ducking and running away>

:D ;D :) :D
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous