News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Fuel Filter 6/1

Started by veggie, October 31, 2009, 05:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veggie

One thing I should point out is that the new fuel lines are made from Goodyear fuel injector hose.
This hose has a blue Viton liner which is compatible with BioDiesel (Sells for about .80C per inch).
Standard rubber fuel lines are not compatible with BioD.
I want the ability to run many types of fuels and fuel blends.

Veggie

quinnf

Best practice (as evidenced by USCG regs) says it's supposed to be plumbed all the way back to the tank.  If you have an air bubble or if any combustion gas gets in the return line it could eventually form a big enough bubble to stop your engine. 

Quinn

BruceM

Thanks for the info Quinn.  And also thanks to Veggie for the Goodyear Viton lined hose tip, I've been using urethane and want to upgrade someday.

I've had my injector return Tee'd into the line going to my fuel filter.  It's never caused a problem except for a leak at the injector clamp end caused flooding of fuel in the head and floor.  That's enough to convince me that back to the top of the tank is smarter. 

XYZER

I do it like the Indians....It also aids in bleeding the air if you change filters...undoo the hose at the injector and bleed it into a catch can. If the fuel system was pump fed and the tank is lower than I would not do it this way. I have never had air in the 2 I have done this way.
[­url=­][/url]
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

WGB

Quote from: XYZER on November 08, 2009, 08:59:19 PM
I do it like the Indians....It also aids in bleeding the air if you change filters...undoo the hose at the injector and bleed it into a catch can. If the fuel system was pump fed and the tank is lower than I would not do it this way. I have never had air in the 2 I have done this way.

Thats a nice filter!

mike90045

So, I hear there is a bleed or purge screw on the fuel pump somewhere.  Anyone got a pic?  I don't want to start turning screws at random.  I've got fuel to the pump, but nothing out of it.

When I replace lines, are banjo fittings avaib in the US, or do I have to try to save the one off the indian hose.

BruceM

Utterpower has some nice replacement banjo fittings.

There is a bleed screw on the side of the IP, towards the engine.  But the big bleed point is the banjo fitting at the IP.  Loosen it, with a rag below, until you stop getting air bubbles.  Then you can rock the flywheel back and forth to make the pump go, until you're getting a good vertical squirt (no HP line).

I drilled and tapped my banjo fitting for an 8/32 bleed screw, with a filed flat on top of the fitting.  This works better than loosening the whole fitting.  I did a lot of bleeding, as I had a cracked banjo bolt, that would slowly leak air into the system.  I eventually found the hairline crack and made a new bolt.

WGB

Quote from: mike90045 on January 02, 2010, 04:04:04 PM
So, I hear there is a bleed or purge screw on the fuel pump somewhere.  Anyone got a pic?  I don't want to start turning screws at random.  I've got fuel to the pump, but nothing out of it.

When I replace lines, are banjo fittings avaib in the US, or do I have to try to save the one off the indian hose.

I made mine Mike!
Not too hard, started with 1" round brass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vbvzzYZfL8

mike90045

Quote from: veggie on November 02, 2009, 11:13:21 AM

One thing I should point out is that the new fuel lines are made from Goodyear fuel injector hose.
This hose has a blue Viton liner which is compatible with BioDiesel (Sells for about .80C per inch).
Standard rubber fuel lines are not compatible with BioD.
I want the ability to run many types of fuels and fuel blends.
Veggie

What size hose is this ?   I'll need to buy some, to put on my salvaged hose ends. May as well get the right id before I head up to the hills.

veggie

Mike,

From what I have seen, each mfr. uses a different size.
You need to measure your stuff and buy accordingly.
In my case, the line from the tank to the filter was 5/16 steel tubing, and the line from the filter to the pump was ~3/16" steel tube.
I replaced the tap, tube, and filter so I could choose the hose barb sizes I wanted.
Bottom line, there does not seem to be a standard so the banjo's and fuel lines may vary.

veggie