2 cylinder diesel (liquid cooled) generators: opinions please

Started by davidssfx, February 04, 2012, 02:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidssfx

Hi,
I'm looking at several 2 cylinder diesel (liquid cooled) generators ... and am wondering what the pros and cons are of each.
Please post your opinions, thanks.

1.Perkins 402D-05G
http://www.generatorsales.com/order/Perkins-6-kW-Diesel-Generator.asp?page=P6125
Approx. cost: $4500.00

2.Kubota Z482-E3B
UCI 2-5.5
http://www.nextgenerationpower.com/Info/Support/NextGenFlyer.pdf
Approx. cost: $5200.00

3. Yanmar 2TNV70
I can't find a similar generator pre-made with this engine, but am still interested how it compares with the other two.

XYZER

David,
What is your location? Shipping is definatly a consideration.
David
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

davidssfx

Quote from: XYZER on February 04, 2012, 11:25:26 AM
David,
What is your location? Shipping is definatly a consideration.
David
Hi,
West Coast Canada ... so shipping destination could either be at Vancouver or somewhere just across the border.

Both above mentioned companies said they would ship for around $300.00

Henry W

Hi David,

I would first look into finding out which engine has the better parts network in your area.

Where I live Kubota is all over the place. Also parts are much cheaper than Perkins/Cat.

Both are good engines though.

I personaly visited the Nex-Gen folks and they build some nice equipment. When I needed parts for the Z482 Power Pack I purchased from them I had parts the next day. To me that is important.

A question I have is how many watts do you need and what will you be using it for?

Henry

davidssfx

Quote from: hwew on February 04, 2012, 01:36:51 PM
Hi David,

A question I have is how many watts do you need and what will you be using it for?

Henry

Hi Henry,
Thanks for your info about Next Gen.
Genset is for power failure backup. I realize this is an expensive way to have backup power, but I'm interested in mCHP ... and it should be possible to easily capture the engine coolant heat for space heating and or DHW.
I have an electric boiler system in our home, so it would be nice to be able to use the engine waste heat while the generator is running (producing electricity).
Concerning watts needed ... I would like to take advantage of adaptive load management (load shedding) technology in order to size the generator as small as possible, but still be able to comfortably power the most demanding load (which is the half HP well pump) ... as well as have other basic household loads.
Therefore I have reasoned that these (and probably more) factors should be considered:

1. low fuel consumption
2. liquid cooled
3. able to start and run highest demand load (well pump)
4. A) method of heat transfer to space heating, probably via an indirect water tank connected in series with primary circuit of heating system.
Haven't decided on the best method yet, since there are several variables to consider ... like: if a plate heat exchanger/circ pump/header tank/etc is needed in a secondary circuit for when heat transfer from the engine is not required (during summer or if heat in indirect tank reaches a high temp limit).
B) or have a single heating convector inside (with fan) that uses heat from the engine coolant circuit (similar to the truck APU's)
5. adaptive load management system should be able to keep loads on standby when higher priority loads are required ... as well as keeping a lower priority load active when generator is under loaded (like a DHW element or electric baseboard heater).
6. lowest possible cost ... therefore two cylinder instead of three
7. Tier 4 emission standard
8. as you've mentioned: parts availability
9. reliable long term product

I think pleasure boats and truck APU's are using similar sized Gensets for space heating /DHW (using engine coolant waste heat), ... it's just a matter of seeing if a simple and safe method for residential power backup and space heating options are workable.

thanks
david

Henry W

Your welcome David,

About Tier 4 emission standard, Check to make sure the genset engine is compliant before purchasing. Some of the gensets manufactures still have some stock with Tier 3.

Henry