we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Forlift Batteries

Started by NutsandBolts, January 18, 2012, 11:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NutsandBolts

Hi,

Greetings to all!  My first post!

I'm about to acquire two sets of batteries from a couple of Crown forklifts that no longer work in them.  From what hear, a few cells went bad due a malfunction in the watering system.  I believe these are 36 or 48 volt system.

I will try to get pics and more detail.  I just found out this morning so didn't have time.  Until then, I just like to know if these are worth anything other then lead weight...?

Thanks,
Sok

mobile_bob

they are probably at their end of life for their intended use, however
they may have enough capacity left to do what you want done?

if there are bad cells you will need someone to remove the bad cells and replace them with
similar aged cells so that the string will charge properly, this means going to a professional forklift battery service
company as they not only will have the know how, but probably a selection of used cells to match up to your remaining
cells.

before you buy them, get a hydrometer and do a check on all cells to see what the condition of the remaining cells, or
rather their state of charge.

if you find the battery specific gravity to be very low, i would pass on the batteries as it likely has been sitting dead
for heaven knows how long and likely will be a real bitch to equalize and get them back up to some reasonable capacity.

might be better to check with a forklift battery service outfit and see if they have any used batteries that they can sell you
generally they will offer some sort of warrantee and some idea of what the capacity of the battery is over how many hours.

bob g

rcavictim

Sok,

If you can get these for free and can handle them then grab them for their scrap value even if they are not electrically functional. If you can deliver them to a decent metal recycler you will be paid handsomely in worthless fiat paper money.  Each 100 lbs can put about $20 in your pocket.

Welcome to the nuthouse!  ;)
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

NutsandBolts

Attached are a few pics of one pack.  The other pack still reside in an unused machine.  I'll attempt specific gravity test shortly and will post for feedback.

RC, yes they are free.  Hopefully some cells are still okay to make two 24V strings.  If not, then recycle it will be.

Thanks guys, I'll post back sometimes

Sok
(ps, hope the pics post went okay)