News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Deutz engine fine in junk yard

Started by akghound, January 07, 2012, 08:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akghound

I found this engine in a local yard. Owner thinks it runs but has never started it. I believe I can get it for $100 and don't have to pay until it runs. I know nothing about these engines. Three cylinder used on an air compressor. Compressor is long gone. Block looks good as in no cracks or breaks. Looks to be a complete engine.

Deutz Diesel
Model F3L 1011
Mot.-Nr 00012644
  Kw (S) 30.5
1/min 2900
DIN/ISO 3046 I FN
F2-4L 1011
Ken Gardner
One Day At A Time 
2000 F450 7.3 Powerstroke / Home Built WVO conversion
96 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 / Homebuilt WVO conversion
Listeroid Generator on used ATF
Living off grid

akghound

A couple more pictures

One Day At A Time 
Living off grid

rcavictim

Seeing as how it has an SAE bellhousing just waiting to be bolted to a single bearing generator head, if you need a 15 kW generator maybe you should take a chance on it.  He says you don't have to pay or keep it if it doesn't run?  How can you go wrong then?  This is a German air cooled diesel.  They made a lot of them and I haven't heard anything bad about them myself.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

dieselgman

Nothing wrong with a Deutz F3L until you have to locate & buy parts or do any major work... good find there! I used to own a F2L on a genset and it was a good performer!

dieselgman
Ford Powerstroke, Caterpillar 3304s, Cummins M11, Too many Listers to count.

akghound

What are the specs on these engines? Things like HP and RPM. Fuel consumption?
If I should get it I would power either a ST 10 or ST12 gen head. Three cylinder should handle the ST 12, I would think.
My guess on HP is around 35-40 horses maybe at somewhere around 2500 RPM. ???  Just guessing.
Judging by what Dieselgman says parts are hard to find and expensive? Afraid of that. :(
One Day At A Time 
Living off grid

rcavictim

Quote from: akghound on January 08, 2012, 08:52:40 AM

Judging by what Dieselgman says parts are hard to find and expensive? Afraid of that. :(

Put it in proper perspective.  It's a hundred bucks.  It's still worth that in scrap value after it dies and it's soul goes to diesel heaven.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

XYZER

Might even get $400.00 dollars on ebay if you part it out......If I needed a starter I would pay!
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

farmer0_1

currently i have two three cylinder duetz's one is in an eighty foot manlift i am  using to top some huge trees.   the other is in my ditchwitch trencher it was built in the early 80s and is rated at 60 hp.   i like the aircooled side of it allis chambers used it for their powerplants.     i have started this manlift on many frosty mornings with no issues and it goes to gov speed right off.  can't say what kind of fuel usage i get.

TimSR2

Says 30 kw on the name plate. That's a 40 hp engine! Will easily turn an ST 20, or power a good size tree chipper

farmer0_1

just walked down and looked at the tag on my ditch witch and it says 40kw and 57.5 brake hp.   now i have no idea how many versions they made of this thing.  but the trencher is an r65. :)

vdubnut62

Put it in proper perspective.  It's a hundred bucks.  It's still worth that in scrap value after it dies and it's soul goes to diesel heaven.
[/quote]

I'll second that perspective.
Ron

EDIT    the above quote was taken from RCAvictim, sorry, I really flubbed up the quote process.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

injin man

I have an F3L 2011 3000 rpm sitting on the floor, it's basically the same
engine you have. 30kw.

Have not fired it up but bought it as running engine. The core for an engine
like this one will bring $1,000 and a good used one $2,000 (if you have to
go out and buy one) this precludes junk yard bargains. Your's like mine
would have to have some serious rpm reduction to be used with an ST Head.

Bobbie2214

Quote from: injin man on January 08, 2012, 05:43:20 PM
I have an F3L 2011 3000 rpm sitting on the floor, it's basically the same
engine you have. 30kw.

Have not fired it up but bought it as running engine. The core for an engine
like this one will bring $1,000 and a good used one $2,000 (if you have to
go out and buy one) this precludes junk yard bargains. Your's like mine
would have to have some serious rpm reduction to be used with an ST Head.
Very true about core prices but not paying that much around here. Yet I buy everyone I can get my hands on here in dallas. If they have good blockes, no cracks or breaks and good heads I buy them. Working or not working dont matter pay $50 to $100 each. They are all work horses, even the tier-2 and tier-3's. Parts aren't to bad to get around here but they are higher priced. Reduction of RPM's?? Why not just turn down the govenor? It will drop your rpm's.

fabricator

IMHO, that engine would be wasted with an ST head, it needs a single bearing bell housing mount unit, also turning down the governor will also derate the Kw output and possibly cause it to run in an extremely inefficient spot in it's power band. Too bad it's not 1800 rpms.

Bobbie2214

Quote from: fabricator on April 26, 2012, 03:09:38 PM
IMHO, that engine would be wasted with an ST head, it needs a single bearing bell housing mount unit, also turning down the governor will also derate the Kw output and possibly cause it to run in an extremely inefficient spot in it's power band. Too bad it's not 1800 rpms.

I am so very sorry, you are completely correct. I do apologize.  :-[