News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

kubota turbo

Started by t1mower, January 01, 2012, 08:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t1mower

without spending 1500 dollars
id like to know if theres a alternate way to turbo a diesel .
  how much torque and hp would a turbo increase on a kubota 3 cly d950  which is about 18 hp now ( 950cc)

rcavictim

Quote from: t1mower on January 01, 2012, 08:30:05 PM
without spending 1500 dollars
id like to know if theres a alternate way to turbo a diesel .
  how much torque and hp would a turbo increase on a kubota 3 cly d950  which is about 18 hp now ( 950cc)

OK. I'll tell you for just $1000.   ;)
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

rcavictim

All kidding aside, your question does not supply enough information for a good answer.  There are some variables that need to be determined such as,

1).  Will you be spinning the engine below or at the naturally aspirated peak torque RPM?

2). Did the factory ever offer this engine with a turbo? 

If it has sufficient piston cooling for that app the you will get better reliability from the finished product.  On the 4-cyl VW Jetta 1.6 diesels the turbo equipped version has cooling oil jets squirting on the underside of the pistons inside the crankcase. This is absent in the non turbo version of the 1.6L four.

Perhaps you might try doing some internet research on this engine to see if the factory ever offered a turbo option.  That will give you invaluable data and also help you size the turbo.  Off the top of my head I recall GM put a turbo on the small 1 liter three cylinder gas engine as an option in the Sprint.  That turbocharger may be a good fit if you are planning to rev that little engine over 2500-3000 RPM.

If you plan to run the engine at 1800 RPM and can find a small enough turbo I'm gonna take a wild assed guess and predict possibly 20-25% more power but not likely any more.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

t1mower

nothing offered from factory,   1800 is a genny rpm . peak i think is 2200.