News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Off the Shelf T-Stat and Housing

Started by Lloyd, November 30, 2011, 11:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd

Hey All,

I found this site by accident, but think these might be of some use.

Lloyd

Off the Shelf T-Stat and Housing

http://www.atomic4.com/thermostat.htm

Tube bundle Heat-X, dual circuit, & Header tank.

Electric Coolant Pump

JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

LowGear

Nice looking unit.  And $125 (thermostat assembly) is cheap with the "marine application" action verb attached.

Casey

XYZER

Flashback!...........Atomic4........my first sailboat ;D
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

Lloyd

Quote from: LowGear on November 30, 2011, 01:39:06 PM
Nice looking unit.  And $125 (thermostat assembly) is cheap with the "marine application" action verb attached.

Casey

Casey...someday I going to get you thinking FRUGAL...it's bronze...will last a life time without failure...maintenance is the t-stat.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

admin

Lloyd

whats the deal with the compounding of the water pumps?  higher pressure?

also how much are those water pumps, they look almost like the bosch auxiliary heater pumps i am so fond of.

bob g

Lloyd

Quote from: admin on November 30, 2011, 08:39:53 PM
Lloyd

whats the deal with the compounding of the water pumps?  higher pressure?

also how much are those water pumps, they look almost like the bosch auxiliary heater pumps i am so fond of.

bob g

bad photography....creates an optical delusion.

The system is a dual circuit...seawater...anti-freeze. One pump per circuit, the photo makes em look like they're in series.

They are for the dual circuit Heat-X pictured.

JohnsonPump...most likely makes it for the re-branded Bosch pump. They are ceramic drives, and good for about 250F, and corrosive fluid.

Hi Bob,

How's the new world...are you just about settled?

Lloyd

Lloyd

Quote from: XYZER on November 30, 2011, 03:36:49 PM
Flashback!...........Atomic4........my first sailboat ;D

Blazingly simple engines...like glorified lawnmowers.

I'll  just bet they would be a good candidate for ...cogen.

High torque low speed gas...if you can call em that.

Longlived for sure.

lloyd

mike90045

Does the bolt pattern match 'roid manifolds - or is it a another trick to get us to get dirty in the machine shop  ;D

quinnf

"Johnson Pump."  Now there's an unfortunate name for a compnay.

The A4 was a 4 cylinder flathead gasser that suffered from a number of design flaws, due to its being a 1940s era design.  First, 6.3:1 compression ratio.  Not very efficient.  2nd, raw water cooled with a 140 degree t-stat to prevent salt precipitation.  Didn't help efficiency either.  3rd, whoever heard of a 4 cylinder crank suspended on (as I recall) only 2 main bearings?  That meant you had to keep the RPMs down below 2000 rpm to avoid crankshaft whip, at which point it only put out 16 BHP, though it was marketed as a 30 HP engine.  

Had one in our Cal 34.  We rebuilt ours at 2000 hours.  Pistons, bearings, even timing gear bushings, everything had worn out.  Everything was out of spec by that time.  Machineshop called one day to inform me that the cylinders in the block had originally been cast off-center, and they bored right through the side of the casting.  So had to sleeve the block, which worked fine.   Ran a few more years, but never pushed the boat very well.

Replaced it with a Universal 25 (marinized Kubota 3-cylinder diesel).   Paid for it with a couple articles I wrote.  (The Do-it Yourself Diesel, SAIL Magazine, March, 1983).  Suddenly 7 knots was achievable, 6 knots cruise at 1800 rpm and 1/2 gallon/hour, fuel consumption was about halved over the AT-4, no more worry about having the possibility of gasoline vapors igniting.  And rather than smelling the odor of blowby, the boat interior became slightly redolent of #2 Diesel!  Never looked back!

Quinn

XYZER

My A4 made insurance expensive with a gas burner in the bildge and the saltwater did the number on it . I also could never depend on it to run well.....I always had water in the gas. It sure was smooth and quiet! When I thought I was rich I slipped a yanmar 12hp in it....

quinnf

One day the drain plug in the carburetor bowl (old Zenith-Stormburg updraft) vibrated out, and the contents of the bowl followed the plug down the side of the hot engine and into the bilge.  Engine suddenly died (fortunately no electric fuel lift pump like we had on the diesel).  When I smelled the odor of fresh gasoline I wasn't sure whether to go down below to shut off the fuel and battery switch or jump overboard and swim for it.

I don't miss that engine.  Not one bit.

q.

XYZER

It taught me to sail into my slip........can be dicey on a gusty day!

quinnf

Yeah, same here.  We were down a long fairway at right angles to the wind.  No hope of turning around under sail.  Just poke along with the main way out and at the last moment, throw the tiller really hard over and the rapid turn kills forward speed.  Keel stalls out briefly, you sideslip maybe 3 feet until it reestablishes flow, but by then you're pointing into the wind and the luffing sail acts like a brake.  Jump off onto the dock, attach the lines and you're done.  Got so good at that, even after the engine was back in, I usually sailed in and out of the slip, solo even, to the disgust of my slip-neighbors who had wheel steered boats that weren't nimble enough to do that.  Tiller-steered Cal 34 was a great boat.  Sailed just like a big dinghy. 

Quinn