How to make your Changfa type engine REALLY QUIET !

Started by veggie, November 29, 2011, 09:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Reed

That works! He needs to do some work on his battery box though.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

rcavictim

There is a lever on the side of the valve cover that when moved makes the engine really quiet.  :D  For the newbies,that was a joke.  The lever to which I refer is the exhaust valve lift control.  This is used to keep the engine from running.  Har har.

Hmmmm, there are enough folks here with noisy engines now who could benefit from an effective silencing system.  Perhaps I should develop one.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Ronmar

Ye old generator pit... Would like to learn more about what appears to be an exhaust heatex.  Lools like a pain for maintenance, kinda like working on a sailboat main diesel.  I was wondering to myself the other day how the S1100 genset would run fit into an old chest freezer, setup with the door on the bottom so the whole box could be lifted clear for maintenance...
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

rcavictim

Quote from: Ronmar on November 30, 2011, 05:29:14 PM
  I was wondering to myself the other day how the S1100 genset would run fit into an old chest freezer, setup with the door on the bottom so the whole box could be lifted clear for maintenance...

That's not a Bad idea!
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

mike90045

All that nice open cell foam, and diesel mist.....

rcavictim

cognos

Not to mention, with that box in a hole in the ground like that, after a good rain, one might end up with a diesel powered boat...

veggie

How does he change the oil?
Drain plug looks totally inaccessible.

Veggie

Ronmar

Quote from: veggie on December 01, 2011, 06:45:30 AM
How does he change the oil?
Drain plug looks totally inaccessible.

Veggie
Suction gun/syringe and a long pipe thru the dipstick hole?
Ron

vdubnut62

Quote from: cognos on November 30, 2011, 08:27:09 PM
Not to mention, with that box in a hole in the ground like that, after a good rain, one might end up with a diesel powered boat...

Sort of like my thoughts, except I was thinking submarine. ::)
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

rcavictim

What you can't see from the video is that all the ground surrounding the generator is on a complicated system of hydraulic jacks which can drop the mean surface level of the earth in that location bout 3 feet to allow easy access to the generator.  The scope of this silencing operation is truly massive.

playdiesel

I quieted ours down by adding 50' to the power cord. ;D
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

Ronmar

Quote from: playdiesel on December 01, 2011, 07:04:39 PM
I quieted ours down by adding 50' to the power cord. ;D

But didn't that make it noisier for the neighbors?:)
Ron

rcavictim

What I tried once was to hook the generator to my dish and beam the excess noise into outer space!   8)