News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Choosing radiator for SC Yanmar

Started by tinkerer, November 29, 2011, 08:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinkerer

Horsepoor

I am also using a similar small radiator to reject heat from my 20/2. It is a new replacement radiator for an old GEO Metro car (Something like a 1.2L engine). From memory, I believe it measures something like 18 by 17 inches and about 2 inches thick. To compensate for the small size, I installed double fans, on both sides, with a metal shield to increase air flow. For me, this works well. I suspect, your smaller radiator, with good, to high, air flow will reject enough heat. Incidentally, how many BTUs / hour do you need to move?

BioHazard

LOL, who races honda civics?  ;D Probably work great for that little Yanmar.
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

cognos

Quote from: BioHazard on November 29, 2011, 08:45:03 PM
LOL, who races honda civics?  ;D Probably work great for that little Yanmar.

HA!

Best ride I ever had in a car around a track was in a 1985 Honda Civic... 75 year old driver, stripped car, seriously stepped-on engine, sequential tranny, racing seats and belts, slicks... on a track day at Mosport Park in Ontario. Guy was passing customer Ferraris in the corners. He could drive, and that car handled.

I also had a couple of laps in the factory Porsche 962 that ran LeMans for Kremer Racing in 1992 that same day. Although the Porsche was waaaaaaay faster, the Civic was more entertaining!

And now back to your regularly scheduled radiator selection conversation, of which I have nothing of value to add... ;D

tinkerer

Quote from: Horsepoor on November 29, 2011, 01:05:40 PM
I am also using a similar small radiator to reject heat from my 20/2. It is a new replacement radiator for an old GEO Metro car (Something like a 1.2L engine). From memory, I believe it measures something like 18 by 17 inches and about 2 inches thick. To compensate for the small size, I installed double fans, on both sides, with a metal shield to increase air flow. For me, this works well. I suspect, your smaller radiator, with good, to high, air flow will reject enough heat. Incidentally, how many BTUs / hour do you need to move?

Horsepoor, How do I calculate how many BTU's/hour my engine is making??

Thanks!
Ben

Horsepoor

Generally,

30% waste heat in exhaust, 30% waste heat in cooling system, 30% useful work, and 10% friction losses.

So if:
1 gallon kerosene = 135,000 BTU
1 gallon #2 oil = 138,500 BTU
1 gallon diesel = 139,200 BTU
1 gallon #6 oil = 153,200 BTU
1 gallon gasoline = 114,000 BTU

To estimate heat (BTU) rejected by the cooling system, take 30% of your gallons / hour (BTU) fuel burn. For example, if your engine at maximum load is burning 1/4 gallon of diesel per hour (139,200 BTU / 4), you should figure on rejecting about 30% of 35,000 BTU / hr. You will need to transfer this heat from the cooling system fluid to the atomsphere by means of your Civic radiator.

Ronmar

Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

tinkerer

Quote from: Horsepoor on November 29, 2011, 10:01:08 PM
Generally,

30% waste heat in exhaust, 30% waste heat in cooling system, 30% useful work, and 10% friction losses.

So if:
1 gallon kerosene = 135,000 BTU
1 gallon #2 oil = 138,500 BTU
1 gallon diesel = 139,200 BTU
1 gallon #6 oil = 153,200 BTU
1 gallon gasoline = 114,000 BTU

To estimate heat (BTU) rejected by the cooling system, take 30% of your gallons / hour (BTU) fuel burn. For example, if your engine at maximum load is burning 1/4 gallon of diesel per hour (139,200 BTU / 4), you should figure on rejecting about 30% of 35,000 BTU / hr. You will need to transfer this heat from the cooling system fluid to the atomsphere by means of your Civic radiator.

Thanks for your explanation! Now, I have one more question for you? How do I figure out how many btu's my radiator will transfer? Should I just take a guess at how much fuel a Honda civic burns per hour and go from there??

Ben

Horsepoor

A BTU is approximately the amount of energy need to raise or lower one pound of water one degree F. Check the paperwork on your radiator or contact the manufacture, there should be some ratings. After you collect as much information as possible, you'll be able to figure a mass flow of water through your radiator to reject the amount of heat (BTU) needed. You will need to force air flow across your radiator to achieve these results. A gallon of water is about 8 pounds.