Belt Tensioning on my Cat (Serptentine)

Started by bantor, October 28, 2009, 07:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bantor

I am wrapping up my Generator build.  So far I am happy with everything.  The one kink I have not worked out is the belt tension.

I am using an 8 rib serpentine drive with a 6in & 8in pullet setup from Mike.  The Pulleys are about 16in on center, so that leaves me with a relatively short belt. I think it is around 54in.

I seem to be getting a lot of belt slap - an inch or so vertical movement  while operating.  I am reluctant to tighten the belt and harm the bearings in the engine. I have made sure the pulley faces are exactly true. 

Can someone describe a procedure to get the correct tension?  Should I add an idler?  This would not be too difficult.  I am driving a 5KW head and belt slippage does not seem to be an issue, although I only have 3KW test load.

I purchased the generator head and a GTR-168 controller from Tom at Georgia Generator, and he was great to deal with.  Mike Moneith provided a beautiful set of pulleys for what I thought was a VERY fair price.

I will post some pictures today in another thread.

Thanks for your help!

Chris

Henry W

Check this out out.
http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=61.0
Some good info on where to buy parts.
Read what I found that worked on my genset.
You might want to use an auto belt tensioner on yours.

Henry

cujet

Automotive idler pulleys would probably keep the belt under control. It may be possible to use 2 of them mounted on a single bracket. A slight bit of pinch on the belt may work. It's a cheap thing to try.