News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Need a little help from the Community

Started by Lloyd, November 08, 2011, 08:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd

After a topic that included talk of RUM on the forum last night.

I've got this hankering for "Brer Rabbit Pure Ribbon Cane Syrup" man I miss that stuff.

Living here in the North West, we just don't get any ribbon cane syrup. Does anyone from this form, eat or know where some that stuff is.

I'm a willing buyer.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

billswan

Lloyd

Brer Rabbit Brand is available here in Southern Minnesota but the part about pure ribbon cane I am not sure about. My wife's supply ran empty so the bottle went with the trash and so we cannot just look quick.
Be a few days before she goes for groceries...........will check then.............

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

LowGear

RajunCajun

Quote from: Lloyd on November 08, 2011, 08:13:21 PM
After a topic that included talk of RUM on the forum last night.

I've got this hankering for "Brer Rabbit Pure Ribbon Cane Syrup" man I miss that stuff.

Living here in the North West, we just don't get any ribbon cane syrup. Does anyone from this form, eat or know where some that stuff is.

I'm a willing buyer.

Lloyd
Open kettle pure cane syrup, from the sugar cane country, down here in Louisiana,
Steen's has been in business since early 1900s. Made in Abbeville, about 1.5 hours away from me,
it's best I've ever tasted. My mom mixed it with peanut butter for our sandwiches!!!
My dad was born and raised there.
     A link to a vendor below might interest you.
RajunCajun
http://www.nolacajun.com/Steens-Pure-Cane-Syrup
It's like being hit by lightning...if you heard it...you made it.
    RajunCajun

Lloyd

Hey everyone thanks,

Does anyone know if Brer Rabbit brand of Pure Ribbon Cane Syrup is still available? I did an internet search also, but couldn't find it, I did see a couple of mentions..but no product.

Casey, molasses is quiet different from Ribbon Cane Syrup..but thanks for trying.

I have tried the Steens brand when younger, but our family when growing up always preferred the Brer brand. Especially in the secrete family BBQ recipe.

Cane Syrup and Ribbon Cane syrup are 2 totally different products, Ribbon Cane comes from a sugar cane with a distinct ribbons around the stocks.

Ribbon Cane Syrup was is a boutique process unlike commercial cane syrup. And much like rum, and tequila, or wine...the flavors of each producer are distinct from one another.

I'll learn to like Steen's, if I cant find Brer brand I guess. In 1900 Brer brand was already 22 yrs old commercially.

I'm still hopping though.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

Shipo

Here you go....... ;)

http://www.brerrabbit.com/
Changfa 195/10kw
Changfa 170R/3Kw
Onan 6.0DJE-3CE
Yanmar TS-105C/Winco 5.3KW

Apogee

Lloyd,

Not Brier but interesting nonetheless.  I'd be very interested in knowing what you think if you try it.  Yes, they sell smaller quantities on the website:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MKDSUI/ref=asc_df_B004MKDSUI1776708?smid=AF6GH8VAVGAAM&tag=dealtmp585296-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B004MKDSUI

Not sure Brier is still making what you remember as it's not noted to be "Ribbon Cane" like the old ads state on Google.   Here are their current offerings but they look to include corn syrup which leads me to think they are a more "modern" formula rather than pure syrup.  Still might be good though:

http://mybrands.com/BrandsHome.aspx?bid=2&B=true

Enjoy,

Steve

Lloyd

Shipo,

Thanks, I have emailed to find out if they have Ribbon Cane....it's starting to look a little grim for Brer Rabbit.

Steve,

Thanks, for that link, that is one I haven't found. So I'm going to put that on my list to try.

I did find this Ribbon Cane Syrup http://www.fainshoney.com/ribbonCaneSyrup1.asp, it seems after reading it's made from true ribbon cane, they just can't call it pure.
QuoteAbout the label above:
Ribbon cane is the primary cane used; however, the possibility of cross pollination with adjacent fields of other types of cane and labeling laws prevent labeling as pure ribbon cane syrup.

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know the results. What a community we have here, I for one really appreciate it.

Lloyd

cognos

So now I want some good southern (or eastern or western, whatever...) recipes for good slow-cooked BBQ sauces... the commercial sauces I get around here taste to me like ketchup with some hickory smoke extract thrown in... I miss my time in Texas, no such thing as a hot-dog cart... brisket maybe...

I do make my own sauces, but I like some variety...

sailawayrb

cgwymp

Quote from: cognos on November 10, 2011, 03:07:00 PM
So now I want some good southern (or eastern or western, whatever...) recipes for good slow-cooked BBQ sauces... the commercial sauces I get around here taste to me like ketchup with some hickory smoke extract thrown in... I miss my time in Texas, no such thing as a hot-dog cart... brisket maybe...

I do make my own sauces, but I like some variety...

Well, for real bbq sauce, try something like this:

QuoteIngredients

2 quarts cider vinegar
    1/4 cup salt
    2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
    3 tablespoons red pepper flakes
    1 cup light brown sugar
    1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce

Directions

In a large bowl, mix together cider vinegar, salt, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, light brown sugar, and hot pepper sauce. Stir until salt and brown sugar have dissolved. Cover, and let stand at least 3 hours before using as a basting sauce or serving on meat.

Grabbed that recipe off the internet but it's similar to what I make, although if you let it age a few weeks it gets even better. Just find some wood-smoked pulled pork to put it on and you're good to go! Serve it up with coleslaw & boiled potatoes, maybe some Brunswick Stew, and a basket of hush puppies. Finish with banana pudding. ;-)
Listeroid 8/1

vdubnut62

When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

bobansen

Bloody Eck Ron, you rushed so fast I felt the wind as you past me. I also run for narner pud.