What size generator head for SC Yanmar??

Started by tinkerer, October 29, 2011, 07:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinkerer

Hello everyone! I'm still in the process of gathering parts for my SC Yanmar build and have a question for all of you?? What size generator head should I use?? I plan on running the engine around 2700 RPM give or take a little. I know they say that it takes 2hp per 1000 watts. According to the Yanmar manual thats about 10-11 hp. So.. a 5000 watt head should be about right. Or... should I go bigger?? I've always been a fan of a little bigger not running full capacity is better than smaller running full capacity?? What do you guys think? What are those of you with the Yanmar engine using??

Thanks!
Ben

Henry W

I read some generator heads are most effecient. near the middle of the capable output.
And from my experiance with the ST-12 I say it is good to over size some.

Henry

Open the PDF file below.  It is a spec sheet of a Marathon generator head:

Ronmar

With 10-11 sustainable HP available, I would say a 7KW head would be a good match, to allow for some surge capacity...
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

Henry W

It depends which model and make of generator you go with. The Marathon head specs i posted is a 10 Kw rated head but look at the graph above in the 2nd post. With a .8 power factor it is most efficent between 4-5 kw. and with a power factor of 1 it is between 5-7 kw.

So if you want to get every bit of efficency out of a generator head with your engine you might have to look at a 10 or 12 kw head.

Henry

tinkerer

Well thanks everyone for your insight. I'm not sure what brand to go with yet. I want a brushless unit in the fact that they seem to be a little bit friendlier with electronics. One other think I want to look into is the availability of parts and ease of maintance if they ever should need any.

Ben

Henry W

Contact Central Georgia Generator.

Tom has a good selection of brush and brushless generator heads and parts.

Tom Osborne
akatosborne@hotmail.com
www.centralgagenerator.com
478-457-5524

Henry

tinkerer

Henry, thanks for recommending Tom. I visited with him for a few minutes today and learned alot. He seems like a really nice guy.

Ben

Henry W

Your welcome Ben,

Yes, Tom is a really nice guy. We are fortunate to have him as a vender.

Henry