News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Garrett Turbocharger

Started by SHIPCHIEF, October 12, 2011, 02:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHIPCHIEF

I just got 'ripped off' by some kids who sold me a turbo for $40.... ::)
They said it's from a VW TDI, but I'm not sure if it is, and I really don't care.
It needs a bearing kit, but the important parts are there, and it's about the right size for my ASHWAMEGH 25/2.
I think it's a GT15 or 17 it's marked GARRETT and A/R .48.
I've been internet searching for similar pictures etc., and planning the layout.
After seeing Henry Dancuse' turbo 6-1, I knew it was only a matter of time.  :P
I've improved the oiling system, added an intake air preheater, and I'm installing glow plugs in the COV plugs. I've added an electric starter, and oil filters and heat exchanger etc, even the governor mod.
So it's turbo time. I think I'll make the exhaust pipe short from the first cylinder, and longer from the second cylinder to delay it's pulse' arrival to the turbo. As we all know, the 180 degree crank has a "Bang, Bang, Whiff, Whiff" "Bang, Bang, Whiff, Whiff" So I would like to delay the arrival of the second "Bang" to the turbo to even out the exhaust surging.
I hope to get up enough boost and raise output from about 10 Kw to 12 Kw running @ 735 RPM. Henry gained 1Kw, so I think it's doable...

billswan

Shipchief

Well we are going to need pictures of this.... ;D

May be forget the longer pipe for the 2nd cylinder and just get a second turbo for a dual turbo setup..... ;D ;D

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

Tom Reed

I think you're going to need to add a flywheel to the turbo to smooth out the "bang bang whiff whiff". And yes pics are definitely required.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

LincTex

Quote from: Tom on October 12, 2011, 11:19:05 AM
I think you're going to need to add a flywheel to the turbo to smooth out the "bang bang whiff whiff". And yes pics are definitely required.

Sounds good in theory, but in practice you will not be working that turbo very hard. The turbine speeds will be far below the range that could cause damage due to errant exhaust pulses. The pulses will be helpful in getting turbine speed to increase when needed.
Metro 6-1 from Sam Crosby, 2007
Chang Chai 1110 - 18 HP

vdubnut62

Pictures... ;D ;D...OH YES!!!! ;D ;D  Maawwaaaahaaa!!
Ron ::)
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

SHIPCHIEF

I took a second look, and can't believe I overlooked the dataplate.
It's a TB0343. It most likely came from a 1985 Saab 9000 2.0L
It's actually a pretty big turbo for this application, so i agree it won't be stressed in any meanningful way.
Oh wait...It might get shook to death!!! ;) riding on top of a Listeroid twin.

SHIPCHIEF

Here is a turbo on a stump. (not a stump turtle)

LowGear

So your twin is about a 2.5 liter unit?  And your going to run it below idle on the Saab and expect enhanced output?

Sometimes the naive ask the best questions.

Casey

SHIPCHIEF

Good question.
I don't expect a lot of output. I was actually hoping to get a smaller turbo, but this is what I have for now.
I've already taken it apart. It's a breeze, they are so simple. Also, this one has no damage.
When I'm done, it will be good to go on any project.
For the 25/2, I'm just having fun. I'll probably have more $ into the manifold and oil lines than in the turbo.
If I find I need a smaller turbo, I'll just be more careful about which turbo I get next.

quinnf

Just talking free air displacement here, the Saab at 3000 rpm is pushing 132 cfm through the turbo, while a 6/1 will be pushing about 16 cfm.  I predict no noticeable power increase, however the turbo WILL dampen the exhaust pulses and you'll certainly have bragging rights to have a turbo'ed engine.  That said, though, you'll never know until you try.  I wish you success.

Quinn

quinnf

You know, and I'm just thinking here, if it doesn't work, you COULD feed the turbo with a little propane and stick a sparkplug somewhere in the exhaust line and have a JATO assist.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JATO  

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b4/C-130T_Hercules_Blue_Angels.jpg

Then take your engine to the yearly engine show/tractor pull at the county fair and blow the old geezers with their hit/miss engines away.  Now THAT would be cool!   8)  

Quinn

quinnf

Or maybe I've had too much coffee this morning!

Quinn

vdubnut62

When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

LincTex

Some old Suziuki Swifts and Geo Metros had turbos... I am going to try to find one of them.
Metro 6-1 from Sam Crosby, 2007
Chang Chai 1110 - 18 HP

Carlb

My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission