News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Yanmar 2TNV70-PGA Diesel Engine

Started by flywheel, October 26, 2009, 12:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flywheel

Yanmar 2TNV70-PGA diesel from surpluscenter. Seems to be very well made, heavier than the Perkins and Cat engines.
The Yanmar is about the same size as the Perkins and cat engines as seen in the pix for comparison. 
  flywheel
Never met a diesel engine I didnt like.

Henry W

Hello Flywheel,

Would it be possible to take some close pictures of the oil sump (both sides, front, back and if possible the bottom) and the part of the block where the oil sump attaches to.

Henry

flywheel

Quote from: hwew on October 26, 2009, 04:32:37 AM
Hello Flywheel,

Would it be possible to take some close pictures of the oil sump (both sides, front, back and if possible the bottom) and the part of the block where the oil sump attaches to.

Henry

Henry, I can take some closeups and I will try to get this done sometime today.  The black shinny paint on the Yanmar engine makes it hard to get a good picture.   flywheel

flywheel

Henry

I did a little checking on the Yanmar pan/sump today.  Its a little different than the Perkins and Cat engines. The engine block has a extension bolted to the bottom of it.  It is longer and wider than the cast iron block its bolted to and is made of cast aluminum it appears.  It is bolted to the bottom of the block before the pan is installed, then the oil pan is bolted to this or extension which makes it a larger sump/pan.  The extension casting is 2.25" thick. Probably needed for crankshaft clearance and larger oil sump capacity would be my guess.

In the pix the red lines are the parting line for the extension where it bolts to the block.  The blue lines are the parting line where the oil pan bolts to the extension.  flywheel

flywheel

Henry W

Hello Flywheel,

Thanks for posting the pictures.

I was a little cautious with the Yanmars. The main reason was The bottom of the block looked like aluminum to me in Surplus Centers picture. Well I was right that it was aluminum but after seeing your pictures I feel comfortable that the Engine will hold up fine since the cast aluminum is used for the oil sump extension and not the complete block.

Do you have the oil capacity for the engine?

Thanks for all your hard work.

Henry

EdK

Hi Flywheel,

Old thread yes, but it was this thread that brought me to this forum in the first place while looking for more information on this engine. I saw it on Surplus Center's web site, entered the part number into Google and here I am  ;D

Actually it wasn't quite that direct... I lurked for about a week sponging up everything I could and eventually registered. So what can you tell us about this engine - do you have a specific purpose for it? If I were interested it would probably be for a belt drive genset like I'm seeing done with the Cat and Perkins. Does your owners manual have some decent technical info? I was wondering whether the torque curve peaked in the mid 2000s like most engines in this class. Probably wouldn't be very happy @ 1800RPM

I also am looking to build a Diesel driven hydraulic power unit, need about 10HP for the application and that could be another possibility for justifying one of these.

Ed

Henry W

Hello Ed,

Welcome aboard!!

The 2 cylinder Yanmar is a nice engine. You cannot go wrong with a Cat/Perkins or Yanmar engine. The Peak torque curve is similar to the Cat/Perkins. I believe is between 2400 to 2600 rpm's. A belt drive Genset is the way to go with these engines.

Just to let you know I had a set of pulleys sized to run a 1800 rpm or 3600 rpm gen-head by swapping them end for end that will work great on these engines running at 2550 rpm's.

Here is the post http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=552.0

Henry

Henry W

I just found that Max torque for the Yanmar engine is at 2600 + or - 100 rpm's.

Henry

NoSpark

I've been wondering how the Yanmar would fit and work on a garden tractor. I have an old Bowlens HT23 with a blown motor that I'd like to repower and a Kohler 23hp short block is big $,$$$. The Yanmar is rated at almost half the horse power of the Kohler but the diesels got to have some torque. Also 2500 rpm may be to slow for the transmission and attachments, its rated for 3600 but could it be run that fast for long periods?  I can just picture a generator being shaft driven off of the front pto. It may be too big anyways, but it would be cool.
Anand Powerline 6/1 ST5

EdK

Nice work on your pulley design. I really like the way you've thought ahead with that dual-rpm genhead operation. I see Mike's names salted throughout this forum as a pulley/machinist resource. Seem like a good name to have in your back pocket. Is he a member?

Tom T

No Spark I just read your post on the 23 HP Koller I thank  the RV two cyl. generators 7000  are the same block have seen some on Craigs list dont know were you are but we might be able to find you one shiping might not be to bad for one. Tom T

flywheel

Specs from the Yanmar owners manual.
                                                     flywheel

NoSpark

Quote from: Tom T on March 18, 2010, 08:13:56 PM
No Spark I just read your post on the 23 HP Koller I thank  the RV two cyl. generators 7000  are the same block have seen some on Craigs list dont know were you are but we might be able to find you one shiping might not be to bad for one. Tom T

I just noticed I spelled Bolens Bowlens. I've looked just about everywhere for an engine or short block but I've got this diesel thing in my head now. Carroll Streams has a 20hp v-twin diesel for $1700 but thats to rich for me right now. I suppose I could put a Changfa type on it :P
Anand Powerline 6/1 ST5

ryanw95

I put a changfa-style R180 on my mid-70's Roper RT-10 garden tractor. Runs great, love it!

search for "ryanw95" at mytractorforum.com
handfull of horizontal water-cooled Changfa-style motors, in tractor, generators, etc.