shop progress

Started by mobile_bob, September 19, 2011, 07:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

thought i would post some progress pics

bob g

Lloyd

Hi Bob,

Just wanted stop in and say hello, long time no talk.

I love pictures...when that shop is done don't fill it so full you can't work...remember it's a shop not a storage facility..hehe

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

mobile_bob

thanks Lloyd here are some specs

the shop is 24x40ft with the container adding another 8x40ft of storage

there will also be another lower roof out the back which will provide open but covered 10x40 of additional space
to store lawn equipment, my forge and anvil equipment, rabbit hutches and a small green house.

the container will house the generator room, battery and switch gear room, small storage and enough room for
a small machine shop at the other end.

the idea is to try to keep the concrete floor as open as possible and not fill it with crapola that seems to have followed me home.

notice the brick driveway?  there are 1550.5 recycled bricks, cleaned by my wife and i, gravel bed put in, compacted/sanded and prepped
took us two days to get the bricks laid, sanded and compacted into a nice hard setting.  they look real nice to me and i love it!

the little town i live in has nearly all brick streets, when there is sewer/storm drain or water problems they routinely take up the bricks and haul them to the dump, favoring concrete for repairs as it is far easier and cheaper than resetting bricks

i will be claiming all the bricks that come out of this town for a good long time, basically no one here wants to work as hard as needed to clean and use the brick? or they just don't have a use for them?  i dunno all i know is i will take all i can get!

bob g

Henry W

Bob,
It is good hearing from you.
You have been very busy and you have acomplished so much in a short amount of time. No wonder you have not been on line much. Very nice shop it looks like you will have plenty of room to get a buisness going and have room left over for other projects.

And your driveway, I love it. I need to show my wife.

Henry

LowGear

That is a nice driveway but the last thing I'm doing is showing it to my wife!  I know some of you will understand.

Casey

BioHazard

Nice work, you never cease to amaze me.
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

SteveU.

Hi MB
Now admit it: ain't it more fun on hands making things happen Real versus keyboarding??
M.Bob looks like you have some solar potential in the shop and house roofs versus the cloudy PNW wetside?
Regards
Washington State Steve Unruh
"Use it up. Wear it out. Make do. Or do without."
"Trees are the Answer" to habitat, water, climate moderation, food, shelter, power, heat and light. Plant, grow, and harvest more trees. Then repeat. Trees the ultimate "no till crop". Trees THE BEST solar batteries. Now that is True sustainability.

Tom Reed

I like the cobble stone driveway too. Nice shop wish I had one! We've got a 1500 sq ft basement, but no drive in access. Nice place. Oh, how do you plan to seal the building to the container and what did you do for the container foundation?
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

fabricator

The cobble stone drive was what immediately caught my eye, beautiful work, I think I'm gonna start a pool on how long it takes you to get to the point where there are only path ways through the treasures. :D

mbryner

Love the driveway!   I can't show it to my wife b/c she'll want one.   Maybe that's what Casey was referring to?  :)
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

rcavictim

Bob,

I am wayyy impressed.  That shop design looks great and the driveway is nothing less than a work of art.  Which way does the future(?) patio deck (top of storage container) face?
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

AdeV

Bob - that's some really nice work there my friend, and your brick driveway is lovely. Are you going to use bricks to clad the workshop too?

Speaking of which, here's a question. As far as I can tell, you've moved to your new place & immediately added a large workshop. Over here in Blighty, it'd take at least 6 months just to get permission off the local council to build a structure like that, and then there's a whole set of rules & regs that one must follow to build it. Are planning laws out in the States a bit easier? Do you even need to ask permission to add that sort of stucture, and do you need to follow construction rules? Just curious like, I'm wondering if our planning rules are unnecessarily draconian.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

deeiche

Quote from: AdeV on September 21, 2011, 10:35:11 AM
SNIP
Are planning laws out in the States a bit easier? Do you even need to ask permission to add that sort of stucture, and do you need to follow construction rules? Just curious like, I'm wondering if our planning rules are unnecessarily draconian.
It really depends where you are.  As much as we moan and groan over here regarding Federal gov't encroachment it still is no where near the level of our European friends.

fabricator

The fedgov apart from the EPA really has no say in local building ordinances, zoning ordinances are handled by either county, city, or township ordinances. And yes in lots of jurisdictions they can be extremely onerous, in my township for instance, they have through a ridiculously onerous wind ordinance banned residential wind entirely whether you have one acre or one hundred acres.

BioHazard

Quote from: AdeV on September 21, 2011, 10:35:11 AM
I'm wondering if our planning rules are unnecessarily draconian.

Do you really have to wonder?

I think the rules are pretty relaxed out in Kansas for Bob. Try to build something like that in new york city, no way, no how. Where I'm at anything over 200sq ft has to go through the building nazis first. Where my shop is, the city even has a law that says the parking lot must be a certain size and have stripes painted, and they dictate how many lights you must have outside.
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?