News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

first small diesel generator build

Started by photon_trap, September 14, 2011, 07:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

photon_trap

Just read it last evening. As it sounds to be within my abilities, my only concern is if the setup described (Prestolite 110-555JHO and Balmar MC612) is within the torque capacity of my Kubota EB300.
Sounds like it is, based on miket's setup. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks
Jeff A

miket

jeff

I have several charge regulators.

I started with the Xantrex copy of the ARS 4 Balmar. its a 12 volt model and works just like the ARS 4 that I also have.  Charge and mode status is shown by  an array of colored LEDS.  Both work just fine and  the cost was reasonable.  At one time or another they have been connected to LN 2800 JB  and Load handler 160 amp alternators using 9 rib J type belts.  Plenty of power in the  eb300 to charge a battery bank composed of four L16 HC Trojan batteries.

I recently converted to a 24 volt power system based around a MS4000 Magnum inverter.  To this I added a MC624 Balmar regulator and 25 volt alternator. The biggest reason that I changes was that a good deal presented itself in the Balmar alternator It is a bg husky brute and I two a "at sea" repair kits in  the deal. 

12 volt controller and alternator used in a 24 volt application will work fine using Mobile Bob's white paper.  I have done it using one of the ARS 4 units and a 2800 JB.

All  these units I have built are currently in operation  amongst my poorer neighbors. Mostly we have used 6.5 HP Hondas (or whatever was available) until we could find small diesels.. I stumbled into a couple of 430 cc Thermoking/Yanmars.  We run those at peak torque as well for best fuel consumption. I recall about 2400 RPM.  WE would use Biodiesel but we don't use enough fuel to avoid shelf life issues.

As to pulleys, I used SH and JA tapered bushings from McMaster-Carr, 2.5 inch on a JA for the alt and 4 inch on an SH the powerplant (the bore on the SH had to be opened up to match the stub shaft on the EB300, (I used the same stub shaft that  drove the hydraulic pump).  Pulleys and bushings were a bit pricey but fit like a dream and  it doesn't look Okie-fied.

I used the original control box that came with the  Kubota and all is copacetic.  A Murphy panel would be just fine too.  I have a Murphy module and am going to convert to have  both over temp and low oil pressure shut down. I also picked up a couple of  start/run solenoids but I haven't carved out the brackets yet from tool plate.  Too many projects on t he table.

My EB 300 has enough gumption for me to run my 4' by 5' CNC router table on the battery bank and inverter.  I have a 3 phase Onan/Cummins DKD to run the spindle and dust collector. Gota spare single phase  850 Kubota and leroy comer 7 KW unit just cuz i have it.

I probably don't a have more than 1500 dollars in the whole lot of stuff and that was mostly on the the MC624 and Balmar alt. Just lucky I guess!

cheers

mike

mike90045

Quote from: photon_trap on September 15, 2011, 02:21:19 PM
... There's little use of garage all week while I'm at work so this will make it easier to maintain charge......

This is a bad idea.  You want to get your batteries up to 80% capacity ASAP, or they begin to sulfate.  Perhaps running the genset for some time ( 30 - 60 minutes ) before you depart on Sunday, will bulk up the batteries, and let the solar top it off.  Wind is too variable to count on, unless you have to hang on to your hat every time you go outside.

photon_trap

miket - Thanks, I will proceed with this setup and check out the pulleys you mentioned.
mike90045 - This is just the kind of important info I am here to learn, Thanks

Jeff A (90278)

thomasonw

Hello.

FWIW:  I assembled a DC generator using the Kubota, and found that if I tried to pull more then 125A or so out of it I can stall the motor.  The 555 alternator is rated at 160A and unless something else limits the current (spin speed, external regulator, or battery bank capacity not being able to accept more than 120A or so) you might have issues.

Now, I also have slowed the Kubota down some to make it a little quieter.  Perhaps if I had left it at Full Speed I would be able to get more out of it.

-al-