News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Reduced speed Yanmar clone genset

Started by piperpilot3tk, September 07, 2011, 12:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgrigg

Hi,
I'm new to this forum, and new but learning, about design and build of Gensets with diesel.
I am about 90% complete on a project to build a reduced speed diesel Genset.  I used the CarrolStream 10HP clone with the Voltmaster AB50.  It is throttled down to 2700RPM with a belt-driven reducer, and works great.  All built on a nice steal plate frame and on wheels for transport, as needed.
I do not have fuel consumption data yet, but will this summer as I complete the install.  I chose to do this because of all the power outages in CT this past year.  I have home heating oil, so going diesel was a natural.  I just couldn't bare buying the crap at HD or Lowes knowing that I could do it so much better, and have fun learning at the same time.

What has been the most fun about this project has been the automation of the Genset. 
I added a few items to the engine:  A solenoid throttle (Trombetta), a couple of Hall-effect sensors on the 2 shafts for RPM monitoring, and Temperature and Pressure sensors to monitor enclosure environment.
I hooked it all up with a micro-controller (Arduino-Mega) and automated the whole process.  My micro-controller is even a web-server where I can log-on to it from anywhere, even with my cell phone, and turn the Genset on/off, monitor it's output, etc.  The controller automatically powers on the unit when power is lost to the house, sends me a text message when it happens, and stores log-files and data-files on a local SD card to graph historical performance and environmental data.

My last big part of this project is to construct a nice concrete platform and sound/weather proof enclosure for it next to the house.  Any advice in this area would be greatly appreciated.
I'm adding a fan to the enclosure, to keep it cool when operating, and of course, this will be driven and monitored by the micro-C.

Also, I originally wanted to actively control the speed of the engine, with the micro-controller, since I have the RPM sensors, but opted to simply do it passively with a single-pull solenoid (Trobetta).  However, I am a little concerned on how long, unattended, the RPM will stay within range with just a simple pull-to-stop throttle scheme.  Especially with the amount of vibration, over time.   It seems OK now, but does anyone have any long-term experience or suggestions?

Thanks

rcavictim

I am in the finishing stages of building a reduced speed genset from a 6 HP, electric start Yanmar clone engine from Launtop.  I set the pulleys to give 3600 RPM on the alternator with 2700 RPM on the engine.  In 'bolted down to a board trials',  it appeared happy up to 2500 watts output.  I suspect it will be very fuel efficient.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

dgrigg

rcavictim,

What is the best way to test output wattage?  How do you know that you are outputting 2500 watt on your rig?  When testing fuel-efficiency and output, I want to load the generator to maybe something like 80%, or so.  Do you simply plug in a hair-dryer or something?  I would prefer a more direct measure.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

dgrigg

Hi,

For my project above, I guess I can summarize a few areas that I could use some guidance/input.  If someone can point me to an area of the forum, or a member, who might best help in each of these areas that would be VERY appreciated.

1)  Throttle control
     -  Like I said above, I'm using a Trombetta P613-K currently.  I made a home-made bracket to mount it to the engine and adjusted the stop to set the engine at 2700 RPM.
     -  My concern is about long-term RPM stability, either due to vibrations loosening bolts, cable stretch, thermal drift, etc.
     -  Are there any simple ways to add active control to the throttle?   Is this even necessary, typically?
     -  Any suggestions for proper throttle mount?  (I can send a pict of my setup for reference.)
2)  RPM sensor
     -  I currently have 2 Hamlin 55075 Hall Effect sensors mounted on a home-made bracket, sensing the shaft keys on both the engine and the generator (AB50).
     -  I built a circuit using LM2917 chips and balanced R1/C1 to give appropriate output voltages for the 2700 and 3600RPM speeds.
     -  Since I am sensing the key, the sensor only sees one pulse per revolution.  My RPM output varies a little (+/- 100RPM overall) and I would like to get a better lock/stable reading.
     -  My sense is that adding something like a small Gear to the shaft, and sensing the teeth, would produce many more pulses per revolution and generate a more stable reading.
     -  I just don't want to fork out $60 for a gear for this.  Any ideas?
3)  Fuel Flow measurement
     -  It's maybe overkill, but I have been looking around for a cheap in-line flow sensor to monitor fuel consumption rates.  It would be pretty cool, if cheap enough.
     -  Does anything like this exist that would give me a 5V DC output scaled to mL/min or something?
4)  Oil Pressure Sensing
     -  I have seen much talk about Oil Pressure sensors.
     -  How can I easily add a oil pressure sensor?
     -  Do I add it right at one of the plugs to the oil reservoir of the engine?
     -  Where do I get one of these, and which one would be appropriate for this engine (CarrolStream 10Hp electric Start)?
5)  Sound and Weather-proof enclosure.
     -  I plan to pour a concrete slab foundation for my Genset in a couple months.
     -  I was thinking of making my own, double walled, ventilated with a fan, enclosure.
     -  I have looked at simply using one of those prefab plastic enclosure, but I am not sure how effective they are, and whether I might be able to make a better one, for less.
     -  References to previous projects would be nice to get some input on the design.
     -  Any members with some good experience and plans?
     -  I also plan to pipe the exhaust up the outside of my chimney, to get the fumes up and away.  So the enclosure has to have a good system to port out the exhaust.
6)  Automation
     -  And finally, are there any members that have done similar automation builds, particularly using Arduino micro-C?
     -  It would be nice to compare notes, sketches, diagrams, and design ideas.

Thanks.