News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

5.8 Earthquake Rocks East Coast

Started by Henry W, August 23, 2011, 01:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry W

I was sitting outside resting in a chair from a heart proceedure (Ablation Surgery) and all of a sudden I felt everything shaking. :o I thought something was wrong with me and called the Electrophysiologist. They started laughing and said don't worry, we were shaking also. They told me the area just had an erathquake. They ask how I was doing, and if I feel anything else unusual please call right away. :)

Henry

Carlb

I heard it has been updated to a 5.9

Henry, where are you located?

I live in Southern New Jersey and I was sitting on the sofa with it reclined watching TV. We have a media room and as such there are speakers mounted all around the room for the Dolby 7.1 surround sound including two 12" subwooflers and two Bass Shakers attached to the bottom of the Sofa.  At first i thought it was the bass shakers but then I noticed my 72" TV was swaying.  Needless to say this is the first quake I have ever experienced and quickly realized that it was a quake.  It lasted maybe 15 or 20 seconds, enough time to get up and go the the back deck where my wife was sitting.  She said she heard the deck creaking and her chair was swaying side to side.  I guess the house must have shaken side to side at least 2".  The funniest thing was me trying to walk to the back door with the entire house moving under my feet.
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

rcavictim

Quote from: Carlb on August 23, 2011, 02:16:28 PM

I live in Southern New Jersey and I was sitting on the sofa with it reclined watching TV. We have a media room and as such there are speakers mounted all around the room for the Dolby 7.1 surround sound including two 12" subwooflers and two Bass Shakers attached to the bottom of the Sofa.  At first i thought it was the bass shakers but then I noticed my 72" TV was swaying.  Needless to say this is the first quake I have ever experienced and quickly realized that it was a quake.  It lasted maybe 15 or 20 seconds, enough time to get up and go the the back deck where my wife was sitting.  She said she heard the deck creaking and her chair was swaying side to side.  I guess the house must have shaken side to side at least 2".  The funniest thing was me trying to walk to the back door with the entire house moving under my feet.

And now you just have to upgrade your system to reproduce that effect again at will right?  ;D  Trust me, you'll need more than two bass shakers under the couch!
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

rcavictim

Apparently many in Toronto got shaken but I was totally unaware of it until I heard about it on the radio.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Henry W

Quote from: Carlb on August 23, 2011, 02:16:28 PM

I live Eastern, North Carolina about 100 miles from the coast.

Henry

cgwymp

Felt the building shake in NW Raleigh (near Crabtree Valley Mall) -- thought that a truck had backed into the building or something. Didn't know it was an earthquake until my wife called and told me she'd seen it on WTVD's website (apparently WRAL was asleep at the switch. ;-) I'm amazed the distance from the epicenter this thing traveled!
Listeroid 8/1

mike90045

Didn't feel a thing in California 8)

Sister in Va, thought she had moved away from all that - she knew what it was right off.

rcavictim

OneBarfly

I was at work in Toronto when I felt the shaking around 1:55 PM EST, My wife who works 45 km east of me says she felt nothing (kinda like our wedding night ;D)

mike90045

the USGS has announced the cause of the fault - Bush's Fault.

fuelfarmer

I am about 50 miles from the epicenter. There was a rumble and shaking of the shop where I was working. It was not bad at all, but it did feel strange.