News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Rust Inhibitor on siphon cooling system

Started by Clarksonguam, August 21, 2011, 07:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clarksonguam

What if anything does everyone use to ensure that the insides of these engines don't rust?

rcavictim

On a china diesel with a open, boiling hopper I use plain old water because it has to boil away in order for the cooling system to take away the heat.  If that same engine has been closed up with a thermostat and closed loop, thermosyphon cooling system into a radiator or sealed tank then I use automotive, ethelene glycol based anti freeze with the water.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Clarksonguam

veggie

Yep...
The problem with the "boil away" hoppers is that they leave behind all the minerals in the cooling jackets.
I've seen some systems caked with scale to the point that the cylinder head cooling passages were nearly closed off.
A settle/flush treatment with boiler de-scaler once every few years would help.
Maybe using distilled water in the hopper would reduce the scaling by a significant amount.

veggie

rcavictim

Quote from: veggie on August 23, 2011, 08:28:21 AM
Yep...
The problem with the "boil away" hoppers is that they leave behind all the minerals in the cooling jackets.
I've seen some systems caked with scale to the point that the cylinder head cooling passages were nearly closed off.
A settle/flush treatment with boiler de-scaler once every few years would help.
Maybe using distilled water in the hopper would reduce the scaling by a significant amount.

veggie

It was winter when I was doing test runs of my new Changfa 1115 and I used snow to fill the hopper.  That avoided the mineral buildup that would have occurred from my well water here.  Still there was enough rust and mess that before the thermostat plate went on in the final radiator and thermosiphon configuration using car anti-freeze solution I washed out the water passages in the engine with a muriatic acid wash and water rinse.  That took out a lot of crap.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.