News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Farymann diesel

Started by dieselfox, August 21, 2011, 06:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dieselfox

Gentlemen / Ladies

I have posted this engine to see if someone has had experience with it, and or to evaluate it compared against all the other diesel engines revered on this site. 

Interested in your feedback.  I am always looking for something new.

Dieselfox

http://www.generatorsales.com/order/4300N.asp?page=4300N

vdubnut62

Someone on here either has one or had one or maybe even two of the critters........
Ah, here is the link.

http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=1400.msg21851#msg21851

Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

BioHazard

Looks like a nice little motor, but $5000?  :o I like the way they hooked up the starter....
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

Henry W

Dieselfox,

I had two Farymanns that I sold. They are nice engines but parts are very expensive and and limited. That setup runs at 3600 rpm so you are looking at around 4000 hours before overhaul. There are better suited sets out there for a much cheaper price. Personaly I would look for a Kubota EA300 or EA330. A Changfa R175 would be nice also. If you can find a Kubota Z482 they are very nice 2 cylinder engines and you can get parts almost any place.

Here is a topic I started:  http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=2033.0

What are your needs and what do you want to accomplish.

Henry

miket

Dittos on the Kubota EA(B)300.  I've been using one ofthose for 4 years wita balmar 250 amp alternator.  Works fine , lasta long time! 1 pint per hour for fuel consumption. It'sa champ!!

I got one of Henry's Farymanns.  Trying to decide to use it for stationary pwoer or to power a 20 foot launch....Hmmmmm!!!

I have a 439 cc Yanmar twin (thermoking) taht I built for the poor, old folks, up the hill.  that has kept them ion power for 3 years now. Little over one pint per hour.

mike

dieselfox

hwew

A while back I asked for some input on how to get possession of a Listeroid, as I thought that was what I wanted.  Then reading the posts, dieselgman said something like the fun is in the tinkering with the Listeroids, but you want something more reliable for serious use.  I then tried to locate a Witte and they are even harder to find.

This is what I have summed up so far: the slower the rotation, the longer it will run before maintenance.  However, if the engine is not well designed or engineered it will fall apart in use despite the slow speed.  So I had to find something that fit the bill or close to it, and most everything old which fit the bill was already taken.  Everything made today is 3,600 rpm - disappointing.

I found this on the youtube, and have since acquired two of these engines - Volvo Penta MD1.   The fox in diesel fox figured that the land lubbers might not have looked there.   I figured they had to be pretty reliable or easy to work on or they would be no good out at sea.  The MD stands for Marine Diesel.  It was the first marine engine volvo made.   The vintage is the 60's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POu73af7rLM

These engines are crank start if needed, and they do run well.  Some have used them in their boats for over 30 years, and love them.  They have a max RPM of 2000.  Not as good as a Lister/Listeroid at around 650 rpm, but they are about about forty years newer in design.  They are rare, but like I said, I have my second one on the way.

The is what I am doing:  I have invented a wind turbine, that works off "centrifugal force" instead of an "air foil" like all the others.  I live in a windy area, most of the time, but when the wind is not blowing, will need something that is economical to charge the batteries.  A one cylinder, slow speed diesel fits that bill.  As I search for new things, I post them for the rest, and that is why I posted the Farymann engine.  It might need rebuilding after 4,000 hours, but some might find it useful.  

Anyway the cat is out of the bag - I am going to use the Volvo Penta MD1 in my project.  

Dieselfox