News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

more progress= more pics

Started by bobansen, August 21, 2011, 07:01:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deeiche

Quote from: rcavictim on September 26, 2011, 07:34:14 PM

Yoix!  :o  4000 cc in one cylinder!  28HP @ 1000 RPM.
yeah the Deutz makes the Andoria S-321 look small at 2290cc.

LowGear

Sales figures would probably tell us all we need to know about why something is being manufactured or not.

Hey, have you seen the new BMW diesel SUV ad?  There is hope!  When are they going bring the Turbo Diesel Austin Mini Pick-Up out - in the land of The Military-Industrial Complex?

Just dreaming in Paradise. 

Casey

vdubnut62

Quote from: rcavictim on September 27, 2011, 07:11:03 AM
Quote from: vdubnut62 on September 26, 2011, 09:46:59 PM
Every time I think I've seen 'em all, something like this pops up. American diesels in the class we are interested in are pretty much non-existent.
Somebody tell me why?
Ron.

Because the mamoth USA Military Industrial Complex considers them a non-priority?

Well the Devil you say. The SOB's went and bought Kubotas to power the hydraulics on military break apart lowboys, you would think they would have a little pride.
Actually I'm  nary a bit surprised, I bought 3 or 4 irregular US Military shirts a while back, (hey, they were a buck each) and guess what?
Proudly made in Honduras!

Patriotically doing my part to promote National Decline since 1980.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

vdubnut62

Quote from: LowGear on September 27, 2011, 10:47:25 AM
Sales figures would probably tell us all we need to know about why something is being manufactured or not.

Hey, have you seen the new BMW diesel SUV ad?  There is hope!  When are they going bring the Turbo Diesel Austin Mini Pick-Up out - in the land of The Military-Industrial Complex?

Just dreaming in Paradise. 

Casey

Yes, and Mahindra was supposed to bring out a small diesel pickup too.  That never happened either.
I'm really beginning to believe that "somebody" doesn't want the US to have fuel efficient small diesels at all.
That little deathtrap-looking Smart Car is supposedly available in Europe with a diesel that gets unreal mileage.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

LowGear

I love it when open flywheel engine enthusiasts start talking safety about other products and activities.

As Dr. Brown said; "Good Grief".

Ahhhhhhh, OK!  I wouldn't ride in one much further than the rush of a small diesel powered car could carry me but this is such a weird place to point the finger of safety.

vdubnut62

Aw doggone it, off topic again. I really don't mean to go off on these tangents.
Sorry Guys! I guess your  just gonna have to slap me. 
Ron.

LowGear

Yeah Ron,

This thread is about supper clean horizontal Chinese diesels.  On task Bro!

Casey

BioHazard

Quote from: vdubnut62 on September 26, 2011, 09:46:59 PM
Every time I think I've seen 'em all, something like this pops up. American diesels in the class we are interested in are pretty much non-existent.
Somebody tell me why?
Ron.

Somebody pointed out the other day that historically the US has had a lot of cheap oil to make cheap gas, or natural gas. Now that gas prices are out of hand it makes sense to switch toward diesels but I don't think the EPA will ever let it happen. The emissions controls required are ridiculous. They don't seem to care/notice that diesel engines are twice as efficient....
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

OFFGriddnPat

Here's a muffler for your german single and a harmonious relationship with your neighbors...

rcavictim

Quote from: LowGear on September 28, 2011, 12:25:56 AM
Yeah Ron,

This thread is about supper clean horizontal Chinese diesels.  On task Bro!

Casey

Did someone say 'supper'?  Did I miss it?  Aw crap.  :(
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

vdubnut62

Supper? Casey throwin' a luau? One like this? Yea!

A luau (in Hawaiian, lū'au) is a Hawaiian feast. It may feature food, such as poi, kalua pig, poke, lomi salmon, opihi, haupia, and beer; and entertainment, such as Hawaiian music and hula.

Ron ;D

LowGear

If it gets through Spell Check its good enough for me.

Casey

rcavictim

Quote from: rcavictim on August 22, 2011, 11:16:33 PM
Quote from: deeiche on August 22, 2011, 09:52:59 AM
Quote from: rcavictim on August 22, 2011, 08:43:43 AM
I've had my eye on a 1130 engine.  If I were to somehow get that at least I have a gen head that can handle it.
Here is one on the other side of Canada.

That is the very one I have been eyeing.  That guy was asking $1500.00 for that product until sometime recently.  I'd like to get one before Canada implements the same silly EPA ban on imports.

That $1500,  1130 engine I had my eye on from BC on Ebay just got offered "Buy It Now" for $799.  Reduced a further 20% from the $999 he had already dropped it to for a while.  I did some checking and have determined that it has two counterbalance shafts and is direct injection.  CR is 16.5:1.  1 hr HP= 30.  12 hr HP =27.5.  That is 7.5 HP more than the continuous rating of my mighty Changfa 1115 1.2 liter (1.195) which I am very happy with.  

Here is a 1.6 litre (1.593) beast that I could get some useable power out of slowed right down and add a bigger flywheel mass and retard the injector timing accordingly.  Seeing the expected Canada EPA ban on these engines coming soon following the US' lead and knowing I'd kick my ass if I didn't jump on this now I just pulled the trigger!  :) :) :) 8)

That flat belt pulley is 10-3/4" OD!  The alternator is the size of a regular car alternator and this beast has a belt driven water pump.  All I have to do is add a radiator with fan.

Just what I really needed, another generator project.   ???  Actually I do need the security of a spare engine.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

deeiche

Quote from: rcavictim on November 18, 2011, 09:36:24 PM
That $1500,  1130 engine I had my eye on from BC on Ebay just got offered "Buy It Now" for $799.  Reduced a further 20% from the $999 he had already dropped it to for a while.  I did some checking and have determined that it has two counterbalance shafts and is direct injection.  CR is 16.5:1.  1 hr HP= 30.  12 hr HP =27.5.  That is 7.5 HP more than the continuous rating of my mighty Changfa 1115 1.2 liter (1.195) which I am very happy with.  
SNIP
Just what I really needed, another generator project.   ???  Actually I do need the security of a spare engine.
That is a great price, I've watched him relist it over and over again.  Pretty surprised it did not sell for $999.
Now you just need to get it to the other side of the country. 

rcavictim

Quote from: deeiche on November 19, 2011, 06:47:46 AM
Quote from: rcavictim on November 18, 2011, 09:36:24 PM
SNIP
That is a great price, I've watched him relist it over and over again.  Pretty surprised it did not sell for $999.
Now you just need to get it to the other side of the country. 

I got a shipping quote from the seller at $250 CDN truck freight to my Ontario location.  This is far less painful than any attempts to bring something in across the border from the US.  Even after shipping and taxes I'm doing way better than any other options I know of to get a big single into my shop.  I actually kept my powder dry for several days sitting on this auction nervously while waiting for the seller to scan and send me details from the engine's manual.  Fortunately no-one else jumped in.  I'm told he moved a total of five of these. This is the only one he had left and since they weren't a big seller I think he has no plans to bring in any more.  Now I have to try and clear some shop space in which to put it.

I did give thought to purchasing one of those vintage oilfield engines that make 18 HP at 350 RPM and are 550 cu.in. in one hole but to convert one of those to a diesel is a expensive and risky proposition and I don't have that kind of money or time to spend on something else.  Less risky but not easy to arrange and still expensive beyond my means was to try to bring a real Lister CS in from England.