News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Another power out

Started by Ronmar, October 24, 2009, 04:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronmar

We did 2 1/2 hours on the listeroid last night.  The local PUD decided to have a storm caused outtage late yesterday afternoon, about an hour before dinner time.  Other than a little more activity in the kitchen lights, it was pretty much like any other evening around our house.  The street was a little darker though:)

This runtime also gave me a chance to evaluate some LED floodlights I purchased, while on roid power.  Just the barest hint of flicker, about like the CFL's produce.  I have to look close to see it anyway, and that is good enough for me.  The CFL floods are slow comming on when it is cold.  I have a few floods around the place, and the big incandescents are a significant load when on generator power.  I changed a few over to CFL's, but the cold start characteristics bug me.  I may start working on changing them over to LED's.     
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

WGB

Where are you getting your LEDs?  Do they still cost an arm and leg?

NoSpark

Congratulations on the power outage, hope to lose my power someday  :D
Anand Powerline 6/1 ST5

Ronmar

Quote from: WGB on October 24, 2009, 06:17:54 PM
Where are you getting your LEDs?  Do they still cost an arm and leg?

Cosco had a bunch on sale.  A little spendy but I got a set to experiment with.
Ron

cujet

As you might expect, the Costco LED floodlights are made by Lights of America in China. They have a pseudo recall on them, as they are not lasting and remaining bright for the "claimed" hours. In fact, they fall quite short.

However, I have one and like it for it's low consumption and instant on features. I think there is a capacitor in it, as it has no flicker on shore power. Where my other LED's do.

rcavictim

I bought a couple of CFL floods from Wallmart and am pleased with the light they produce for the power used.  They do take some time to come on in the cold however.  When the LED lights get better and cheaper I'll likely go there.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Ronmar

I got a letter from Cosco about the longevity issues.  They said I can return them at any time.  I put it in my garage, and will run the lights till they fail and see just how long that really is.  No cold startup delays, so I am happy so far.  I wish their power factor was better though, but their current draw is tiny...
Ron

quinnf

Same here.  Bought two to test and was initially happy with them, though the light was a little too blue.  But for 3.5 W each, it's pretty amazing.  However I've been noticing that they don't seem so bright now, so maybe I'll take them back to Costco and get my $20 back.

Quinn