Help!! I'm joining the higher speed diesel club.....

Started by bschwartz, August 11, 2011, 12:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bschwartz

Veggie,

"I wonder how (if) they actually tested the engine at 3600 rpm."

I thought the same thing, but instead of calling him a liar, I thought I'd stick to facts.

He said it was a 6HP engine, it is a 4.5HP engine.

I'll give him till Tuesday to either give me the partial refund, or make a reasonable offer.
If he doesn't get back to me, then I'll proceed.

I just checked, and about $100 came from a paypal balance, and $425 went on the CC.

Oh boy this is fun..... NOT!
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

bschwartz

He just refunded me $125.

I now have an R170 to play with.

I think he figured that it would be easier to take a smaller profit, than to pay for all that shipping, and get a negative feedback.

It would be nice if he were honest to begin with.

So now, do I just run this thing, or do I take it apart and look everything over?  Are the gaskets (especially the head gasket) reusable?

Thanks for all your support guys.
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

deeiche

flywheel

Quote from: bschwartz on August 22, 2011, 08:27:08 AM
He just refunded me $125.

I now have an R170 to play with.

I think he figured that it would be easier to take a smaller profit, than to pay for all that shipping, and get a negative feedback.

It would be nice if he were honest to begin with.

So now, do I just run this thing, or do I take it apart and look everything over?  Are the gaskets (especially the head gasket) reusable?

Thanks for all your support guys.

I would just remove the rear cover and have a look inside. Maybe take one of them mirror on a stick thingies for hard to see places and that will tell you what you need to know.

The Chinese engines are NOT sand pits like the Indian stuff.  If you should need a head gasket one can be obtained from Kim, the parts guy in canada and his contact info can be found in the parts section of the forum.

If its clean just run it and have fun.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 flywheel
Never met a diesel engine I didnt like.

billswan

well I guess with a 926 buy and sell and 100% positive ebay rating on all those he figured it might be in his favor to give the refund.

If it is too small a motor maybe you should list it here on this forum maybe some one close to you would like to have it.

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

bschwartz

Bill, it may be too small for one project I had in mind, but I can ALWAYS find a use.

I'm glad to have it, and at $400 including shipping, I think I did OK for a used R170.
Any of these pre ban IDI engines are getting hard to find, so beggers can't be choosers.

I'm still in the market for a slightly higher powered unit.  You can't have too many engines (or guns or ... your choice)  ;D

The 1100 units are too large for my needs, and would never be driven hard enough.

I figure about 6-12 HP would be ideal.

The search continues.

OH, MY GOODNESS...... you should see the orange liquid that just came out of the fuel tank!!!
It is clear, and oily (it did run the engine), but has a bit of a gas smell.....
Oh ,well.  It is drained for some clean fuel.......

Play time begins.
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

Thob

He shipped it to you with fuel in it?  Did he pay extra for hazardous shipping?  Did it have oil in it as well?  Normally, engines are shipped without fuel or oil, otherwise it costs $$$ to ship due to hazardous and flammable materials being shipped.
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

Carlb

[quote

OH, MY GOODNESS...... you should see the orange liquid that just came out of the fuel tank!!!
It is clear, and oily (it did run the engine), but has a bit of a gas smell.....
Oh ,well.  It is drained for some clean fuel.......

Play time begins.
[/quote]

Do you mean that they shipped you an engine with fuel and or oil in it?  If so, big EPA no no.
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

AdeV

Here in the UK we call that Red Diesel, and burn it just like normal diesel - it has red dye added to identify it to customs & excise as "agricultural" fuel (not legal for use on the road).
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

bschwartz

It blew my mind when I saw the full tank of fuel (well except for what dribbled out during shipping) and the crankcase full of oil as well.  This could have been started and running during shipment (except for the empty cooling hopper).

Ade, I don't think this was Ag diesel.  It was more oily feeling than straight diesel, and had a gas smell.  I think it may have been diesel, old gas, and who knows what else.

I think the first thing I'll try with it is to hook up a 12v alternator/battery, and a 12v to 120v inverter, and see what kind of load it will support.

- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170