News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Calling all propeller heads

Started by rcavictim, July 24, 2011, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcavictim

Really!  I need help identifying this propeller.   :)  It appears that I just cannot predict anymore what kind of unique treasure that I will stumble across in my daily travels.  I was at the recycling depot the other week and my eagle eye caught sight of this baby tucked away in the shadows.  It's pretty heavy. Has numbers on it "M9562" and "82".  Length is 8 feet.  Well this is such a unique find that could also potentially enable some very, very unique hobby projects that it just HAD to follow me home.

I'd sure like to find out what airplane this was off of and what RPM and HP it needs to work.

I was thinking WW-2 fighter trainer until I saw the number "82" which may be the year of manufacture.

Not sure what I am going to do with it but one idea comes to mind.  I have a solid aluminum 12 foot diameter P-P microwave dish from Andrew.  If I were to cut it out in the middle and install open mesh, placing this propeller just below the hole I could possibly build a homebrew hovercraft.  I'd need quite a powerful gas powered, air cooled engine though.

How about an alternate wind source to power my wind turbine when the natural wind isn't blowing!  Maybe the government would give me a grant to do that. :D

Man I have way too many project aspirations for one lifetime!  :'(
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Apogee

Wow, nice find!

You ought to call someplace that either manufactures props or a service place at one of the airports that would replace something like that.  They'd likely be able to track it down for you.

Heck, depending on were the scrap yard was located, it might be worth researching to see if there is an airport nearby.  If so, I'd start asking around  - you just might find the fellow who tossed it...

Again, great find!

I'd love to give it a home if you don't end up using it.  For what, I have NO idea except that it's kewl!

Steve

rcavictim

Actually I forgot to mention that I do have plans to place this on a PM alternator and sit it up on a pole to see how well it might work as a small wind turbine.  One thing is for sure.  The wind will never be able to overspeed it and cause it to fail from centrifugal overforce.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Ronmar

You could probably turn that 12' dish into a hovercraft with a large leaf blower:). I could think of a better use for it though.  In direct sun, I think a parabolic is good for around 4btu/sqft/min.  Thats a little over 28000 btu/hr for a 12' reflector...
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

rcavictim

Quote from: Ronmar on July 24, 2011, 10:39:58 PM
You could probably turn that 12' dish into a hovercraft with a large leaf blower:). I could think of a better use for it though.  In direct sun, I think a parabolic is good for around 4btu/sqft/min.  Thats a little over 28000 btu/hr for a 12' reflector...

In all honesty a hovercraft project is very unlikely.  I am at the point in my life where I am reminded every morning of how my poor body is aging, tired and sore and that there ain't a lot physical resource left.  Stuff I actually need takes priority over projects that would be kinda kewl or fun but of no value in life support.  After the large wind turbine is completed, the scale of my projects is likely going to become a lot less ambitious.

I have thought of putting a small resonant sterling generator at prime focus of a solar dish.  Perhaps one day at the scrapyard I'll acquire a sterling generator!  Yeah, a guy can always dream.  :D

Lloyd

Props have to be regularly  magnufluxed, especially if there has been a bird hit. Just imagine one side of that thing coming a part.

If you know someone at a machine shop that does motor repair, they could give her a quick magnuflux.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

rcavictim

Quote from: Lloyd on July 24, 2011, 11:56:17 PM
Props have to be regularly  magnufluxed, especially if there has been a bird hit. Just imagine one side of that thing coming a part.

If you know someone at a machine shop that does motor repair, they could give her a quick magnuflux.

Lloyd

It's an aluminum prop Lloyd.  Isn't the magnaflux process only for testing ferrous objects? Am I missing something?

I'm comfortable with using just a visual inspection and mechanical ringing to determine sufficient soundness for the wind turbine application.  For an engine powered spinning application your advise is sage.

BioHazard

Hell, if nothing else it's a neat decoration in the shop. I'd make it into a ceiling fan.  ;D
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

KeithO

rcavictim

Quote from: BioHazard on July 25, 2011, 04:48:33 AM
Hell, if nothing else it's a neat decoration in the shop. I'd make it into a ceiling fan.  ;D

You do realize that this propeller used at a ceiling fan could take a person's head clean off given half a chance.

rcavictim

BioHazard

Quote from: rcavictim on July 25, 2011, 05:18:31 AM
You do realize that this propeller used at a ceiling fan could take a person's head clean off given half a chance.

Serves 'em right for sticking their head in the fan! ;)

I've always wanted an excuse to hook up a propeller to a V8 to build a giant fan, never had a good reason.  ??? ::)
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

rcavictim

Quote from: BioHazard on July 25, 2011, 06:00:25 AM
Quote from: rcavictim on July 25, 2011, 05:18:31 AM

Serves 'em right for sticking their head in the fan! ;)

I've always wanted an excuse to hook up a propeller to a V8 to build a giant fan, never had a good reason.  ??? ::)

Starting a war seems to be a commonly used reason!   ;)

I saw a movie set wind machine once in operation.  Used a somewhat smaller wooden propeller on a VW Beetle air cooled 4-cyl 180 degree opposed cylinder gasoline engine. Man could that make wind!

mike90045

QuoteI've always wanted an excuse to hook up a propeller to a V8 to build a giant fan, never had a good reason.

Swampboat ! (airboat)

fuelfarmer

Back in my misspent youth.............