News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Buying A CHEAP Generator

Started by WStayton, July 13, 2011, 02:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WStayton

Hi Guys,

I'm siting here picking my . . . nevermind - and admiring my multicolor arm and thinking that my life would be much easier in the near future if I invested in a CHEAP 3'ish kW gas generator.

I need something to take the edge off until I get my electricity finished up in my house - I need to drill a lot of holes in the floor to get the electricity up, from the crawl space, to the walls, for outlets and switches.

I found:

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/item.asp?PIN=58003&DL=EML5&EID=W179&SC=W179V100&

It is a 3300 watt max / 2800 watt continuous four stroke gas generator.  I know it must be the cheapest piece of carp to come down the pipe, due to the company who is selling it - seems like everything they sell is compromised, in one way or another, but for $338.95, including shipping, do you think I will get burned by it?

I am pretty sure that this will run my little 3/8 and 1/2 inch drills, and I am not going to be drilling through steel, so I don't THINK it is to demanding a task.  What does it take to run a 1/2" drill - 20 amps, max?  and this should be good for 25, at least intermittantly.

My original plan was to use cordless 1/2 inch and 3/8 drills, each with a couple of battery paks, but I figured that for sure I would be in the middle of something and run out of battery - hence the late rethink.

Who would know the answer to this question better than the readers herein?  <grin>

Comments solicited - cost effective alternatives also solicited.

Regardz,

Wayne Stayton
Mercedes OM616 Four Cylinder Driving ST-24

Thob

I'd check craigslist and see if anything local is available, you might get lucky and find a lightly used generator for less money.  Plus you should at least get to see if run and make power before you buy it.  You can take a space heater, your drill, etc. and make sure it runs with the generator as well.

Most drills (or anything else for that matter) with standard 120v plugs are limited to 15A or less, check the label on the drill to be sure.
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

Tom Reed

Wayne, I'd highly recommend what I did for construction of our off grid home. I bought a DeWalt 18 volt power tool set and 12 volt car charger. The drill is a 1/2" hammer drill with a 3 speed transmission that is a SERIOUS work horse. The circular saw is ok and the saws all is outstanding. I didn't think the bendy flex light would be to use full, but after things were closed in the light got used a lot! My kit didn't include the 4.5" grinder, but we had one where I used to work and it was real handy for small grinding and cut off jobs too.

Then setup a small 12 volt PV system to recharge the batteries. I already had a 75 watt panel on our rv, which was parked on site, and that pretty much kept up the job. If you buy one of the panels for your planned array it can be reused there. It will also give you some first hand PV experience.

To give an example of how much more drilling I did, compared to a regular home. All the wiring and piping in the basement was installed in the truss joists so that the basement ceiling could be sheet rocked. I also put a few 1" holes through the 8" basement concrete wall. I haven't used them, but the new Li batteries for the tools look like pretty good too.

Listening to that screamer will drive you nuts!
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

wiebe

What about the little 2stroke gen/fogger must be ok for a light and a drill
Most drills are 600watts top i think .
kubota knd3

BioHazard

If you're buying a ching-chang-wong brand generator I would suggest buying from Harbor Freight, their return policy is excellent and this generator has great reviews:
http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engine-generators/7-hp-3050-rated-watts-3500-max-watts-gasoline-generator-67560.html

Also the little 800w 2 stroke will do a surprising amount of work. Mine has no problem running a drill, circular saw, grinder, pumps, etc....

I have no problem pulling 800w continuous and have measured over 1000w from mine. Nearing 100 hours and still going strong. Never even changed the oil.  ;D
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

Ronmar

Those dewalt kits are great.  We have one at wotk, and it is a real workhorse and they run a good long time.

Second on the local craigslist search for a genny.  You could probably get by with a smaller one to rapid charge batteries when the 12V and solar to slow charge dosn't keep up.
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

LowGear

I have an 18 Volt De Walt system and its great.  Now its almost 12 years old and still works as good as the battery that is in it.  The circle saw is a sissie but the other tools are great and I don't have the afore mentioned 3 speed hammer unit.  It's in my dream list but this standard 12 year old unit is just too good to replace.  The reciprocating saw with the "Ugly" blade is one of my favorite pruning tools.  I wish I had to the new long life batteries.  If you get one get two batteries.  There have only been a couple of times that the "Big Guy" 1/2" 120 volt drill motor has been required - big hole saws.  Besides looking for a better generator for less money Craigslist is also a great place to shop for these portable hand power tools.

Casey

d34

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1541343&navAction=push&_requestid=356458

This is what I have for my portable uses.  It is a nice gen for the price.  VERY easy to start.  Has a rv 30a plug built-in if you have a camper.  Small enough that one person can handle it.  This same brand is available at tractor supply company. 

I found the link to tsc.  http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/gas-diesel-generators/champion-global-power-equipment-3500w-4000w-portable-generator-4434023

GM90 6/1 ST5 (ready for emergency)
Changfa ZS1105GNM with 10kw gen head
S195 no gen head
1600 watts of solar panels are now here waiting for install
2635 watts of solar panels, Outback 3648 & 3048 Inverters, MX60, Mate
840Ah (20 hr rate) 48v battery bank & 660Ah (8 hr rate) 48v battery bank

DanG

Did you read all the inserts and warnings that came with the Meds they gave you?

WStayton

Hi Guys!

Well, I've made a little progress, on a couple of fronts . . .

After much bitching and carping on my part (not surprised, you say?  <grin>) I got in to see the hand Dr. yesterday.  He took yet more x-rays of my hand and said "What in the hell are these people thinking???".  He found NO evidence on ANY broken bones, just acre's of soft tissue damage.  He also threw away my hard cast/splint and then wrapped up about half as much as had been previously been wrapped leaving yet more VERY colorful skin, and MOST of my fingers on display.  I'm to start physical therapy next Monday to "ensure that there are no permananet effects" and I'm now allowed to drive a stick shift!!!  Oh, and I have a couple more fingers available for typing, so any respite from my long postings was STRICTLY temporary!  <smile>

About the subject matter of this post:

I was thinking of a more-or-less portable generator because I thought that might have long term value to me on my "farmette" since you you are ALWAYS doing something or another that would be easier/more-convenient with the addition of electricity.

I tried one of the global search engines for CraigsList, and got a list of every generator for sale in New York State, by town, and out of about 800 listings, I found TWO that were close enough to justify looking at and cheap enough to justify instead of new - so I've sent off an email to each of them . . . time will tell!

About the Sam's Club Unit -

I can't find any Sam's Club that has one in stock in NY or PA, so either it is real popular or it is discontinued!

About the Tractor Supply unit -

I've got a TSC near me, so if the used ones, from CraigsList, don't pan out, they are IT!

DanG:

"Did you read all the inserts and warnings that came with the Meds they gave you?"

Yea, I read them and they didn't say much except be careful when driving or using machinery . . . oh, and there was a note to be sure and pay your medical provider for services rendered!  <grin>

The Oxycodone is great stuff when your in pain, but I don't recomend it long term unless you want to degenerate into a grinning idiot . . . instead of the normal-kind of odiot that I USUALLY am!  <smile>

As, usual, thanx everybody for the input - you have probably rescued me, AGAIN, from myself!  <smile>

Regardz,

Wayne Stayton

deeiche

WStayton

deeiche:

Wow!  If that was local I'd be tempted to buy it even if I didn't need a generator!  <grin>

It looks like it will be running at 2 or 2.25 HP - Is that enough to keep it running ok???  I always heard 75% to keep things happy, but not sure if that applies to little, air-cooled diesels, too?

Anyhow, it look like its a neat package - too bad its 3,000 miles away!  I mean, I have taken some trips to buy things, but 3,000 miles???  I don't THINK so!

Regardz,

Wayne Stayton

DanG

When I got the itch (I didn't read the Med warnings!) for a chores tag-along generator I went Kipor with inverter driven output.

http://search.ebay.com/kipor+generator

At the time I got an IG3000 plus an IG2600 for less than a Honda Eu3000; prices have risen!

The 2600 will start an electric chainsaw 3 out of 5 times from smart idle though small compressors laugh at it.

It is a Honda clone w/ licensed technology, some parts are direct swap.

If you can snipe a 1600w (2000 labeled) inverter generator off Craigslist or Best Offer off eBay the quiet and easy-start makes a good bonus.

EDIT: The quieted diesels sure are tempting, maybe why I hand out here!

LowGear

Dare I write it on this thread but is bare skinned lowest price always the best deal?

Casey

BioHazard

Quote from: LowGear on July 16, 2011, 01:52:31 PM
Dare I write it on this thread but is bare skinned lowest price always the best deal?

Casey

Funny that you bring that up, these days most premium prices are simply for a brand name sticker. The cheap-o generators are the same ones they sell at Home Depot and such with fancier labels and higher price tags. That's what I like about Harbor Freight, it may be low quality, but at least it's priced accordingly and their return policy is excellent.

I have, for example, a miter saw that I bought at HF for $99. They sell the exact same unit at Home Depot under the Ryobi name for something closer to $200. The only difference are the stickers.

That's not to say you can't find a high quality generator available, but the prices can be a bit hard to swallow... :o
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?