News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Water heater indicator light?

Started by BioHazard, June 30, 2011, 02:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BioHazard

I'm trying to wire up a small light to the water heater in my shop so I can see when it is on...I usually turn it off when I leave. Unfortunately it's wired with 208 volts, so I can't just hook any light bulb to it. I would use a 240v bulb; however, I can't seem to find any besides online and I'm not paying $10 in shipping for a $0.50 bulb.

I have 3 phase 208v Y power. Water heater only has 3 wires, hot, hot, and ground. If I had a neutral I could just use one hot leg and neutral for 120v. I could also use the ground wire instead of the neutral...though I know I'm "not supposed to".

Do you think that would be ok? I have just a small 4 watt LED 120v lightbulb I'd like to use. Can I hook one wire to one hot side on the heating element, and simply hook the other to ground for 120v? I believe this sort of thing was "safe" up until around 1995 or so when they changed the electrical code...
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

quinnf

Or, you could just wire up two 120V light bulbs in series.

LowGear

Have you considered one of those cheapskie hand held electrical testers.  Put one across the top element and one on the lower.  The top thermostat is really an either - or switch.  The bottom is an off - on one.

I put ours on a timer as I just don't remember very well and if we get short on hot water I just turn it on for about 30 minutes and its shower time again.

Casey

BioHazard

Quote from: quinnf on June 30, 2011, 07:56:23 AM
Or, you could just wire up two 120V light bulbs in series.
Damnit...I should have thought of that!  ;D 2 little night light type bulbs would work great.

Quote from: LowGear on June 30, 2011, 11:22:51 AM
Have you considered one of those cheapskie hand held electrical testers.  Put one across the top element and one on the lower.  The top thermostat is really an either - or switch.  The bottom is an off - on one.

I put ours on a timer as I just don't remember very well and if we get short on hot water I just turn it on for about 30 minutes and its shower time again.
I've got a pile of those cheap DMMs...but I have to get out a ladder to get to the water heater.  :) I thought about a timer but I'm never on any kind of set schedule....

BioHazard

What do you think will happen if I hook up a 120v CFL to 208 volts? I have a 13w CFL that says 120v, 50/60hz, making me think it might actually accept 240 for worldwide useage. (no such thing as 120v 50hz) Most ballast/tube style fluorescents work on both voltages.

Fire or light?  ;D

DanG

Never say never... Netherlands Antilles is 120V/50Hz, Morocco 120V/50Hz, Vietnam 120V/50Hz, Libya 110-115V/50Hz, Senegal 110V/50Hz, Bolivia 110V/50Hz, Jamaica is 110V/50Hz...

100-240 label would be good to go 120/60 will go BOOM.

BioHazard

LOL, didn't know some of those places had a grid. Has anybody seen a CFL labled 100-240v? It seems like it would be common though all the ones I have just say 120.

LowGear

Oooohhhhhhhh.

You want to see when power is applied to the water heater.  The cheapskie voltage testers work on 240 too.  Just a bit brighter.

Casey

BioHazard

Quote from: LowGear on June 30, 2011, 08:33:17 PM
Oooohhhhhhhh.

You want to see when power is applied to the water heater.  The cheapskie voltage testers work on 240 too.  Just a bit brighter.

Casey

Ahhhhh....those kind. Yeah...that will work. I thought you were talking about those cheap digital meters.
I want the light to only light up when the element is burning.

vdubnut62

Looks ta me like problem solved. ;)
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

LowGear

QuoteI want the light to only light up when the element is burning.

In order to do this you must go inside the little door(s) on the tank and put the lamp across the element(S).  Just because you have power to the tank doesn't mean the element is heating.  I think those 10 on eBay for $7.74 are going to be hard to beat.  I wonder how neon bulbs like these do on DC?

Casey

Apogee

Don't think they will work with DC.

You would want to use LED's or standard bulbs if you're dealing with DC.

Steve

BioHazard

Quote from: Apogee on July 01, 2011, 11:03:32 AM
Bio,

Why screw around, time is money.  Just do it right and be done with it.

LOL, obviously we haven't met!  ;D