News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

More vibration isolation info.

Started by WGB, October 23, 2009, 06:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGB

I finally found some large truck tire retread material.
Works great, some lateral stops would be a good idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIZkOPRwZrg

WGB

veggie

WGB,

Thanks for posting that video. Very useful.
I'm in the process of mounting my 6/1 right now. I'm starting with rubber vibration dampers. One on each corner.
It will be interesting to see how things move around.
If I get too much shake, my intention is to set the base on some 3/4" thick Conveyor Belting very similar to what you did.
Are you getting very much "thumping" transmitted to the garage/shop floor?

Cheers,
Veggie

Ronmar

I used rubber stall matting under mine.  It is commonly available at farm and feed stores. I also used a 1300# block of concrete:). The block is about 30" X 40" X about 11" thick.  This block has a steel plate under it with the mounting bolts passtng thru it to the steel generator frame.  The concrete block is sandwitched in the middle.  The anchor bolts are epoxied into their holes thru the concrete.  The whole thing sets on top of the 1/2" stall mat on a concrete floor in my generator shed.  It is not bolted to the floor, and has not moved any in over 80 hours of loaded operation.  Power went out tonight for about 2 1/2  hours. Nothing better than dinner on listeroid power:)
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

veggie

I changed by base to incorporate wood spacers and some conveyor belting.
The belting seems to absorb shock loads quite well while at the same time, prevents the unit from walking across the floor.
The frame is not bolted to the wood yet and still there is no movement.
Seems the belting (or "tire treads" in the case of WGB) is a good way to go.

Veggie

BruceM

I like your isolated raised slab mounting design, Ronmar.  Best of both worlds, concrete mass plus isolation from the engine area slab.  And raising the engine for easier access is nice too. 

My engine mount is a POS, just a wood frame that was a temporary test bed, still in service. It's mounted on 3/4" rubber pads, scored and glued with Gorilla glue to slab and bottom of wood frame.   After a Mr. X method balance job, the vibration is reduced enough that I have had no problems.

mobile_bob

my system is a floating mount that is a three point system, it can sit on 3 jack stands at whatever height
you want it, start, run at full load, part load, no load, and shutdown without doing anything but sit there.

of course it ain't a listeroid!  :)

(should have stuck with a changfa)

lmao

ok, now from a serious viewpoint, it looks like you got the set tamed quite well and it sits still like it should
what more could one want?

bob g

WGB

Hey Bob, my Changfa clone showed up at noon!
I haven't had time to open it yet, man it sure is crated nice!

mobile_bob

ok, it showed up at noon... and your waiting for???

get with it man, i wanna see a picture!

bob g

mike90045

Quote from: Ronmar on October 23, 2009, 11:59:48 PM
I used rubber stall matting under mine.  It is commonly available at farm and feed stores. I also used a 1300# block of concrete:). The block is about 30" X 40" X about 11" thick.  This block has a steel plate under it with the mounting bolts passtng thru it to the steel generator frame.  The concrete block is sandwitched in the middle.  The anchor bolts are epoxied into their holes thru the concrete.  The whole thing sets on top of the 1/2" stall mat on a concrete floor in my generator shed.  It is not bolted to the floor, and has not moved any in over 80 hours of loaded operation.  Power went out tonight for about 2 1/2  hours. Nothing better than dinner on listeroid power:)

I too got the stall mat, and have it under the engine, which is a bit of a walker, not hopper.  So, I'm thinking of thru bolting it to the slab, under the stall mat.  What size anchors did you epoxy in ?  1/2"  5/8"  3/4" ?   Big hole and lots of epoxy, or hole just large enough to cram the bolt into ?

veggie

Mike,

Based on your description, you may only need some base locators mounted at each side of your engine.
The bolts could be smaller and they would not be subjected to the vertical vibration of the power stroke.
like this....

veggie

mobile_bob

i think Veggie is right as rain on this one, if the engine is a shuffler and not a hopper, there is no way it is going
anywhere mounted with a rubber mat between the base and concrete floor.

just lag down some angle iron like he illustrates or some 2x4's to keep it centered where you put it if you are concerned
with it moving.

bob g

Ronmar

Quote from: mike90045 on June 16, 2010, 02:17:52 PM

I too got the stall mat, and have it under the engine, which is a bit of a walker, not hopper.  So, I'm thinking of thru bolting it to the slab, under the stall mat.  What size anchors did you epoxy in ?  1/2"  5/8"  3/4" ?   Big hole and lots of epoxy, or hole just large enough to cram the bolt into ?

I didn't use anchors, the base is a 14GA plate.  Onto this I welded 4 couplings, 1/2".  These are spaced to match the base holes in the frame.  I drilled 4 holes to match, thru an 11" thick concrete block.  Thru these holes I placed 1/2" allthread and screwed it down into the threaded couplers welded to the base.  Once I test fit the generator frame to make sure everything lined up, I flooded the holes around the allthread with a concrete bonding epoxy used to set threaded anchors in concrete(available at most building supply houses that sell concrete supplies).  Then I set the frame in place and bolted it down tight so the epoxy cured with the anchors in their stressed position.

If you just need it to keep from walking around, probably just about any type concrete anchor should do, but I wouldn't go less than 1/2".  You might also couple som vibration tothe concrete by doing this as a solid link to the concrete, may defeat the purpose of the mat beneath the frame.

My .02
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

vdubnut62

I went the cheap way. I got 4 small pneumatic wheels and tires from TSC at $5 each and mounted at the corners.
No vibration transfer at all and a plus is that now I can move it without the tractor and loader. Before, on a concrete pad, it made the whole house hum!
BUT it's not an 'oid either.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

veggie

Quote from: vdubnut62 on June 17, 2010, 12:37:57 AM
I went the cheap way. I got 4 small pneumatic wheels and tires from TSC at $5 each and mounted at the corners.

Ron,
Are you sure those tires are rated for 400 lbs each ?
The $5 wheel/tires are usually sub-par elastomers and the rubber deteriorates rapidly.

veggie