News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

New member needs help with Kubota EA300

Started by Trim, May 22, 2011, 07:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trim

Hello All who read...

My name is Ken and I'm located in Fiji trying to fix a Kubota EA300 genset.
I need a few questions answered that I can't answer using the shop manual.

When the injection pump is removed, where is the slot in the governor lever located while not running?

RogerAS

Hi,

Welcome to the board.

I have one of these engines. It''s running as I type.

I have the shop manual for this engine. I'm not sure I understand your question, can you restate? If so I think I can post the info from said service manual.

RS

Trim

Thank you for your reply RS!

The info I need is not in the shop manual. I need to know where the slot in the governor lever is located when the engine is at rest.

Below is a picture showing where mine lines-up.

The reason I ask this question is that the position shown is essentially the full throttle position (full right in the picture) which seems odd to me. I would expect the at rest position of the governor lever to be somewhere to the left.

Can anyone provide insight?

miket

Ken

The pin in the fuel rack on the injector pump is engaged in the slot in the lever.  In so doing the rack moves with the  governor to maintain the desired RPM which varies based on the set location of the throttle linkage. There is a balancing act going on between springs, levers,  flyweights, and injection pump that you will need to read the book to grasp.

Send me a PM and I send you a book.

mike

Trim

Thanks for the reply.

However, I fully understand how the mechanism works. What I am looking for is an answer to the alignment of the slot when the pump is removed and the engine is not running.

Does it look like the picture??? Is the slot essentially aligned with the opening. The service manual makes it sound as though it should not be, however the service manual tends to describe two different versions of the engine in the same graphic(page M53) (EA300 and EA400) which gets truly confusing since the mechanisms are slightly different in how they interact with the speed control lever.

I'm hoping someone has had there intection pump out of their EA300 and can tell me where the governor lever resides while at rest as this will answer some other questions I have not yet asked.

Thanks again in advance!

Trim

The reason I'm asking this question is that my EA300 runs at full throttle and I can't control it with the speed control lever.

When I was removing the high pressure line from the fuel pump, I accidently opened the end of the injection pump aka the deliver valve holder. When I did this, the valve fell out together with the spring, crush washer and cylinder. I put everything together according to the service manual, however the engine only runs at full speed now. (service manual page M-41)

Have I screwed up the pump?

miket

Trimi

"Have I screwed up the pump?"

Probably not,  I've had mine apart and back together successfully!?!?!? Of course spotless cleanliness is next to godliness.

I'm running an EB300D, so a bit or difference involved. I'm using manual WSM 60199-0.

Sounds like the rack might not be properly centered on the control sleeve inside the pump. Illustrations in my manual are on page S-95. Regardless, it will be in the Service section at the rear of your book if a different pub. the WSM manuals all use a similar format.

That's where I would start.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be pedantic!

If you need a book (sounds like you have the same one), just pm me with your e-mail.

mike

Trim

Thanks again for the reply! Any and all ideas are welcome and I enjoy the interaction with knowledgable people...especially while being here in Fiji.

I've had the pump out and open and the rack seems to rotate just fine. I've even had the engine running and used my finger through the oil fill to push the governor lever all he way over to the kill position without effect.

My conclusion is that the lift pump is filling the injection pump cylinder full on every stroke because somehow the metal to metal seals are not working since I opened them. Maybe the crush washer needs to be replaced or the torque is incorrect etc.

What I do know is that the injection pump is working to send fuel to the injector...it is just sending far too much and the rack does not control the amount. If I shut the fuel supply to the injection pump, the engine slowly stops.

Keep in mind I am in Fiji and they simply do not have test equipment here to test the pump or the injector. In the meantime I have ordered a new pump and injector from the states and they are now coming via Fedex at great expense.

I'm still wondering if anyone can answer my orginal question regarding the position of the slot in the governor lever???

miket

I'll take mine apart tomorrow and see what I see.

Fiji? Is this backup for a off-grid system?  (That's what mine is.) Be interesting to hear your experiences and share some ideas!

mike

Trim

Mike,

Wow, that would be more than I could ever ask...but if you are willing to do it, it will help tremendously!

My Kubota is driving my 3.5kw genset on my sailboat here in Fiji. My wife and I sailed here from Los Angeles.

Thanks again!

Ken

miket

Trim

Sorry I'm a bit late as it has been no solar collection for days and my Kubota is my only backup right now.  I'm off grid and not wanting to possibly break the only backup power source.

I pulled my pump and I see much the same as in your picture. Biggest thing I found was the need to get the rack pin engaged in the arm slit and the Pump element and to the sleeve indexed properly.

Do you have smokey exhaust? If so, what color? 

Is yours a Next Generation 120 VAC genset or an Amplepower DC charger?

mike

Trim

Yeah, it is a NextGen 3.5kw...my new pump should be here today.

Did you happen to notice if the governor lever was all the way to the right (away from the engine)?

miket

Trim

Mine was pretty much centered centered looking in the pump mounting hole.

No changes in pump shims, right.

Is your RPM/output Frequency too high. Is the linkage connected to the solenoid bound up a bit pulling the throttle lever to far ore high speed adjustment screw out of tolerance.

For the sake of brainstorming,  what was the first indication of trouble?

Maybe stepping this thru will be of value? I'm game if you are! RogerAS has a lot of time on these little powerplants too.

Do you have a Kill A Watt that we can use to measure AC Frequency?

mike

mike

Trim

Mike,

I installed the new pump and injector yesterday and reinstalled the genset today and then crossed my fingers.

Good news! She is purrrring nicely...well as nicely as a single piston diesel will purr eh ;-)

Thanks for your time and effort helping me out...if nothing else it is nice to have someone to bounce ideas off.

Ken

RogerAS

Good news.

I'm wondering, since we were told that the nose portion of the pump was opened, if something went amiss at that point. Still, good that the little popper is running right!

R