News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

GM-90 ST-5 drowned

Started by d34, April 29, 2011, 05:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d34

I'm sure some of you have seen news reports of the flooding in southeast Missouri.  Well it got my genset.  From what I am told about the levels the water would be close to completely covering the engine (I have been across town tryin to save my office).  The water was a more than 6" deep in the house, which is higher than the garage.  What do you gives recommend I do first when water goes down and I get to go back to the area?

Ps. If this dont sound right overlook it cause I have been up 37hrs now. 
GM90 6/1 ST5 (ready for emergency)
Changfa ZS1105GNM with 10kw gen head
S195 no gen head
1600 watts of solar panels are now here waiting for install
2635 watts of solar panels, Outback 3648 & 3048 Inverters, MX60, Mate
840Ah (20 hr rate) 48v battery bank & 660Ah (8 hr rate) 48v battery bank

mike90045

I'd suggest drain it out, spray out with a couple cans of wd-40 to get water out of the bearings, mop it all up, new crankcase oil, and let run till warm, and change oil again.

inspect air cleaner for a slug of water, and keep the de-compressor open, till you are sure the cylinder is not full of water.  Catch it soon enough, you might avoid rust.  Wait a week, and you may have to pull the head and polish the bore?

Check your antifreeze/water, if that got rinsed away.

The gen head, maybe gently use a blow off gun, wd-40 the bearings & re-grease ( or pull them, clean & relube ).  You don't want to blow the brushed out of their holders, or blow wires off/out of their bundles.  Don't spin it up till you are sure it's all dry.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, my cousins have had to head to their tornado shelter a couple times these last few days too.

bearhawk

Man, I hate to hear that.  I hope you get things settled there.  It doesn't sound nice.  I don't have the GM90 but I'm familiar with the 6/1 listeroids because I just got mine back together today and ran it for the first time.  I can tell you what I'd do if it were my 6/1 that I am intimately acquainted with.

I don't know your fuel system setup but if water got into your fuel tank I'd remove the injector pump (which has been sealed so no water should be in there yet).  I would do that to keep any contaminated fuel from getting in there.  Then I'd drain the oil out of the crankcase, pull the injector out and turn it over to get the water out of the cylinder.  I'd then use an air nozzle and blow the cylinder out for a bit then squirt a bunch of wd40 in there and on the outside of the injector body to keep it from corrosion.  Then I'd drain the fuel system (tank and lines), put on a new fuel filter/water separator, put the injection system back together after blowing out all the lines etc and bleed it.  Then I'd pour new oil in and run it to get it good and hot.  If the engine oil is milky gray after that run I'd change it again.

If I couldn't run it for a while I'd pull the head, cylinder, piston w/ connecting rod, dry it all off and hose down with wd40.  Don't forget to hose down the crank and bearings with WD.  From what I understand, WD stands for water displacing.  It will keep things from corroding for a little while.

The generator I'm not sure.  I'd try to dry it out before running it and you may need new bearings.  The rectifier may or may not be bad.  Most are pretty robust but they aren't made for soaking. 

The thing is this isn't your only problem you're dealing with, so time isn't too available I'm sure.  If I lived closer I'd offer to come over and help but I'm a long ways away.
2005 Powersolutions/JKSon 6/1 with ST-10
Yanmar 2v78 V-twin diesel for a motorcycle
Yanclone single cyl 12hp diesel in a Cub Cadet
http://www.youtube.com/user/bearhawk767
http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=4911

rcavictim

If your alternator head got to sit under water, get radiant heaters or projector flood type heat lamps onto the case of the alternator and get it warm.  Pull the access covers and if you have a small fan get some airflow going through it.  If the insides are caked in mud you will need to do a careful and gentle pressure type power wash first.  I would use clean water without soap.  If clean but wet a couple of days with fan airflow and case temp at 100-120F ought to get the moisture out.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

d34

Thanks for the info.  I am stuck at my office location keeping pumps running.  As of now water has dropped 1.5-2" from its highest level.  The problem is we have rain coming in for the next 3 days and they forcast over 4" for here.  I hope the level we have now drops more before the rain hits or I will lose my office building also.  Once I get a chance to check out the genset (which may be awhile, unless its needed) I will update here.  Thanks again.
S195 no gen head

cujet

Time is of the essence when dealing with flooded equipment. I'd not worry too much about the generator head bearings, as they are probably no good. However, if you can get to the engine, get the water out and put fresh oil in it, you might want to do what's necessary to start your rig up right away. Forced drying with heaters is going to strongly promote corrosion. Especially if quite a bit of time goes by before the rig is started.

I've dealt with salt water flooding in Fairfield, CT (where Long Island Sound infiltrated the neighborhood) and in Florida after the hurricanes. In each case, the equipment I salvaged right away was fine with minor repairs. The equipment I "let go" for a while was ruined.

veggie

d34,

In your original post, you were not sure about the water levels in your garage.
Do you have any new information?
I agree with cujet, deal with the rotating equipment as soon as possible.
Easier said than done.!
If the house and other key areas got submerged, I'm sure you have other priorities.
Things can overwhelming fairly fast.
Good luck with your efforts.

veggie

d34

I have still personally not been there.  If the weather is not to bad tonight I hope to get over there tomorrow.  We have some big storms coming thru tonight.  I was told the water was 3' high in the front yard which will be close to the same in the garage.  The bottom of the GM-90 is about 10" off the floor.  Will update when I know more.  Thanx
S195 no gen head

d34

Well guys I got to see the genset today.  I am very happy that it didnt get as bad as I expected.  I only got to see it from a distance.  It looks like the water level was at the crankshaft level.  Hopefully tomorrow the water will be down more so I can get a better look.  Once it gets low enough I will fog it with WD-40.  Maybe that will help until I can get time to do something with it.
S195 no gen head

veggie

Crankshaft level.....Hmmmmmm!
Inspect to see if water got into the crankcase breather. (Those reed valves will leak water).

If the water was at the crank level, does that mean the gen head was under water ?  :(

veggie

d34

Yes the gen head went under.  I will check more out asap. 
S195 no gen head

Lloyd

d34,

First, 

I think I would flood everything that got wet with pure gum turpentine.... Turps are more viscous then water.

Then after an an air out with a fan for about 24, I would flood it with pump diesel.... Anti corrosive.

Then a complete break down and cleaning with a low voc solvent.... Non-explosive..e-vaps in thin air.

that is how we treat a salt dunked engine.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

BioHazard

I think this can be a lesson to us all when considering placement of our emergency backup generators! So many are in basements, garages, and sheds not so well protected from mother nature...

Best of luck to you!
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

d34

Quote from: BioHazard on May 06, 2011, 12:55:38 AM
I think this can be a lesson to us all when considering placement of our emergency backup generators! So many are in basements, garages, and sheds not so well protected from mother nature...

Best of luck to you!

Very True.  This being a temporary house was reason for not building it up on higher ground.  Once it gets to its (for my sake) permanent place things will be different. 
S195 no gen head