News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Smaller air cooled diesels going good bye too?

Started by playdiesel, April 21, 2011, 09:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

playdiesel

Has anyone besides me noticed that the smaller size air cooled diesels are getting harder to source? specificaly the smallest ones?
I am talking about the L48 Yanmars and the Chinese copies like Launtop and DEK. Most are sold as 4-5 HP.  I had been casualy looking for a clone engine for a home power project with no luck but this morning  we had the need come up at work to repower a small pump and thought I would try a Yanmar L48 and called the distributor to price one and he told me that they had a few left overs to sell but that they have been withdrawn from the US market due to EPA Regs >:(.
I would assume that since the real ones cant cut it that the clones cant either but that might be a false assumption? Just thought I would post this so any of you who have desires for one of the small 4-5 HP air cooled units can get one bought while they are still available. I have to wonder how long the bigger ones will be around? 

BTW I was quoted $1095.00 for a real Yanmar just for refferance.

Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

Henry W

4.75 hp air cooled diesels are still available from Hatz.

Not cheap though.

http://www.hatz-diesel.com/index.php?id=72&L=1

Kohler has a 6.7 hp air cooled engine. I don't know if many know this but Kohler owns Lombardini and they are very good engines. They can be set up to run at many differant speeds and applications.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/productDetail.htm?productNumber=KD350

Henry

rcavictim

In Canada Princess Auto has carried the Launtop 6 and 10 HP air cooled diesel for several years now.  In the past year I have noticed that they appear to only offer the 10 HP unit now.  I managed to get two of the smaller 6 HP units when they still had a presence in the stores.  I am keeping one as a spare and the other is being made into a reduced speed for extended service life(2800 RPM), 2+ kW, 120 volt plant as general purpose wall outlet around here once off-grid and as a backup system to my  R175A JD as a regular "no wind today" battery bank charger.

I'd love to make a hybrid diesel electric motorcycle out of one of these and one of the economical Chinese clone B&S designed Ecotec (sp?) 20 HP pancake motors that only weigh about a pound per HP, but I probably don't have the time.  Actually I really need to finish the electric bicycle that I spent a summer building and only needs another week to finish first!  That one will be able to get me to the nearest town and back with groceries at no cost, recharged from the wind turbine and no insurance or liscense fees.  It is a heavy beast based on a Honda 360 twin chassis stretched out 1 foot in the wheelbase department.  Pardon for the OT distraction.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

playdiesel

I hadn't looked into Hatz as Surplus Center has some a while back and they were high buck even from them. What started the search for me was I want to build a fuel sipping mini gen set that will run the few things we'd like to keep going over night during an extended outage.  The larger Yanmars are Tier IV but the small ones were Tier II.

The 'scooter looks like a cool project.
Like you we also have some spares around, new R180 and 192 Changfas but they are on the large size for my project specs thus I was looking into the smallest engines that are (were?) generaly available. Out heating system is wood boiler and over night I need to run a couple 1 amp pumps and the furnace blower and a light or two for when I have to tinkle ;D.  I am also thinking that should a long term outage happen while fuel is $4 or more that there are going to be LOTS of people rethinking their wants vs needs when it comes to E power.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

Tom Reed

Just scored a nice 10 hp Launtop $600 delivered! Going to repower my '63 Bolens Husky 800 garden tractor with it.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

playdiesel

Quote from: Tom on April 21, 2011, 10:42:47 AM
Just scored a nice 10 hp Launtop $600 delivered! Going to repower my '63 Bolens Husky 800 garden tractor with it.
Ya, I wish I needed one that big but I am flush with 8-10 HP engines, LOL.  I was a mouse click away from a  Carroll Stream 4.5 HP Launtop and decided to wait a week till next pay day and they were gone and out of stock since. I think that was last spring?
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

Henry W

Henry W

Hurry Up!!!
You snooze you lose.

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2290731912.html

Henry

playdiesel

Quote from: hwew on April 21, 2011, 10:54:14 AM
Here you go.

There are only 3 left so if you want one you better hurry.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?Item=28-1706

Henry

Ya and  the killer is "ships truck freight". I'm betting that will be a $700 engine by the time it reaches my shop? I'm thinken Stream's engines were like $400??  That makes me lean more towards the real deal for $1095 all in ??? ??? ???
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

rcavictim

Quote from: playdiesel on April 21, 2011, 11:06:23 AM
Quote from: hwew on April 21, 2011, 10:54:14 AM
Here you go.

There are only 3 left so if you want one you better hurry.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?Item=28-1706

Henry

Ya and  the killer is "ships truck freight". I'm betting that will be a $700 engine by the time it reaches my shop? I'm thinken Stream's engines were like $400??  That makes me lean more towards the real deal for $1095 all in ??? ??? ???

If you were near me I'd swap you  one of my new 6's for one of your new 10's.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

playdiesel

Quote from: hwew on April 21, 2011, 11:04:13 AM
Hurry Up!!!
You snooze you lose.

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2290731912.html

Henry

:o   I'm chewing his arm

>:( >:( >:( Its sold  >:( >:( >:(
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

deeiche

rm /

BioHazard

Quote from: playdiesel on April 21, 2011, 10:28:16 AM
I am also thinking that should a long term outage happen while fuel is $4 or more that there are going to be LOTS of people rethinking their wants vs needs when it comes to E power.

I'm still wondering when Americans are going to wake up and start demanding efficient diesel engines where ever they might need them, EPA be damned - like the rest of the world. I just can't comprehend why a diesel is "bad" because it is "dirty", but they can still sell flathead and 2 stroke gasoline engines that use twice or more fuel for the same amount of work. Even a 10hp diesel can't possibly make as much emissions as my 2hp 2 stroke generator.  ::)

The US could easily slash oil imports by re-examining the diesel engine....
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

playdiesel

Quote from: BioHazard on April 21, 2011, 08:03:11 PM
Quote from: playdiesel on April 21, 2011, 10:28:16 AM
I am also thinking that should a long term outage happen while fuel is $4 or more that there are going to be LOTS of people rethinking their wants vs needs when it comes to E power.

I'm still wondering when Americans are going to wake up and start demanding efficient diesel engines where ever they might need them, EPA be damned - like the rest of the world. I just can't comprehend why a diesel is "bad" because it is "dirty", but they can still sell flathead and 2 stroke gasoline engines that use twice or more fuel for the same amount of work. Even a 10hp diesel can't possibly make as much emissions as my 2hp 2 stroke generator.  ::)

The US could easily slash oil imports by re-examining the diesel engine....

If you never think about the  EPA and common sence at the same time it helps,,,,
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate